Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » Wouldn't it be fun to start a nuclear war?

Wouldn't it be fun to start a nuclear war?

Posted - October 14, 2017

Responses

A real blast.

I'm leaving, I'm leaving.......
      October 14, 2017 7:32 PM MDT

No.
      October 14, 2017 7:38 PM MDT

Matthew Broderick thought so. As I recall, it got him into quite a bit of trouble ...

October 14, 2017 7:43 PM MDT

No, I hope you are just kidding.

Killing tens of thousands of innocent people is bad, no matter whose people they are. 
      October 14, 2017 8:13 PM MDT

Of course I am joking...look at the category.
      October 15, 2017 4:26 PM MDT

• Every question I read now is a music q ...everyone sucks cos I said so. 

https://youtu.be/tsxVGb2d9dw

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 15, 2017 4:26 PM MDT
      October 14, 2017 8:15 PM MDT

This one suits the question better: it's about a 99-year war (neun-und-neunzig jahre krieg) that leaves the world lying in ruins (seh' die Welt in trummern liegen).

October 14, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

• I love that song ... yes it fits well, thank you post it. 
      October 14, 2017 8:29 PM MDT

About a 99-year war? I don't think so. (Perhaps you German is a little rusty?) By the way, if that were to really happen it might take 99-hours, if it even took that long once the "trigger" is pulled.

It's about what would happen if the NORAD (or other) air defense computer systems ran on Microsoft Windows (oooops) . . . The protagonist and a companion, from a nearby (military) base, buys 99 red balloons from a toy shop and releases them into the air. They're "detected" and apparently mis-identified as incoming (nuclear) armament by air defense control. The nuclear trigger is pulled and suddenly it's all over for civilization. Here's a club mix, in English, complete with the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEl7Q6E_0F0 

Mmmmm. Good times. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 14, 2017 9:15 PM MDT
      October 14, 2017 9:13 PM MDT

"Neun-und-neunzig jahre krieg
    Liessen keinen Platz für Zieger
    Kriegsminister gibt's nicht mehr
    Und auch keine Dusenflieger
    Heute zieh' ich meine runden
    Seh' die Welt in trummern liegen 
    Hab 'nen Luftballon gefunden
    Denk' an dich und lass ihn fliegen"

99 years of War
    Leaves no room for a victor
    War ministers are no more
    And no jet fighters
    Today I make my rounds
    See the world lying in ruins
    Have found a balloon 
    Think of you and let it fly 

My German is just fine, thanks. Of course a nuclear war wouldn't last 99 years, more like an hour and a half - but Nena didn't sing it that way, not in the original Deutsch they didn't. 99 Red Balloons is NOT a translation, it's a completely different song with the same melody. As different as "Sweet Little Sixteen" and "Surfin' USA", almost. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 15, 2017 4:29 PM MDT
      October 14, 2017 9:36 PM MDT

Yeah, two different songs, except they both are by the same artist, and they're both talking about those balloons . . . oh, please. All all Aussies like you? I ask because about 20-years ago I was working with a tower rigging crew in our 50th State that happened to have an Aussie member. He was always spreading organic fertilizer, particularly talking about his ability to convert lesbians. The other members of the crew were sick of it and I got sick of it. So one day while he was bragging I just asked him if he realized that his "conversion" work on that front was in the "to" direction. The crew applauded and we heard no more about lesbian conversion. You remind me of him for some reason.

No, it's the same song. Your German sucks (and mine isn't much better, but is much closer than yours).

Apparently it's about detecting UFO's on the horizon and scrambling a fighter squadron to intercept. Nuclear (or some other superpower weapons) hi-jinks ensues. NOTHING about a 99-year long war. This WEB page has a direct translation by someone that's actually fluent in both languages . . . 

https://www.thoughtco.com/nenas-99-luftballons-song-4076776 This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 14, 2017 10:12 PM MDT
      October 14, 2017 9:54 PM MDT

"Neun-und-neunzig jahre krieg" (the first line of the final verse) literally equals 99 year war, no other translation is possible.
    Neun-und-neunzig = ninety-nine
    Jahre = year
    Krieg = war

Anybody who says anything different is flatly lying. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 15, 2017 4:35 PM MDT
      October 14, 2017 10:58 PM MDT

neunundneunzig...all one word. All nouns should be capitalized.
      October 15, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

Nice answer. Keep up with the music ones.
      October 15, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

Dr. Strangelove is back in town! (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)

(And just where is Slim Pickins when you need him?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTaSJk0n_Y
      October 14, 2017 8:37 PM MDT

As I recall, it was implied that Slim Pickens was vaporized in the movie.
      October 14, 2017 8:42 PM MDT

Now wait a minute. I know that I saw him in Blazing Saddles long after Dr. Strangelove. Actually it was the character that he played that was vaporized, Major "King" Kong.

Bu if ole Slim is gone I guess we can't hold that nuclear war after all.
      October 14, 2017 10:00 PM MDT

everybody go dead...Fun??
      October 14, 2017 10:10 PM MDT