Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Russia's supposed influence on the 2016 election amounted to about $100k in Facebook ads. Do you truly believe Russia caused Trump to win?

Russia's supposed influence on the 2016 election amounted to about $100k in Facebook ads. Do you truly believe Russia caused Trump to win?

The whole thing reeks of desperate grasping at straws. And why didn't the same people cry foul about China supporting Bill Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign (as described below)?

From the Wall Street Journal...

Americans worried about Russia’s influence in the 2016 election have seized on a handful of Facebook ads—as though there weren’t also three 90-minute debates, two televised party conventions, and $2.4 billion spent on last year’s campaign. The danger is that bending facts to fit the Russia story line may nudge Washington into needlessly and recklessly regulating the internet and curtailing basic freedoms.

After an extensive review, Facebook has identified $100,000 of ads that came from accounts associated with Russia.

Analyzing the pattern of expenditures, and doing some back-of-the-envelope math, it’s clear this was no devilishly effective plot. Facebook says 56% of the ads ran after the election, reducing the tally that could have influenced the result to about $44,000. It also turns out the ads were not confined to swing states but also shown in places like New York, California and Texas. Supposing half the ads went to swing states brings the total down to $22,000.

Facebook also counted ads as early as June 2015. Assuming they were evenly spread and we want only those that ran the year of the election, that knocks it down to $13,000. Most of the ads did not solicit support for a candidate and carried messages on issues like racism, immigration, and guns. The actual electioneering then amounts to about $6,500.

In 1996, the Chinese government had the “China plan” and pumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into Bill Clinton’s re-election campaign. There were congressional investigations, and several fundraisers were prosecuted, but Attorney General Janet Reno rejected calls for an independent counsel. Campaigns tightened up their donor-validation procedures, and life moved on.

Millions of taxpayer dollars have probably been spent already poring over that $100,000 of Facebook ads. Better to keep it all in perspective, as everyone did in 1996. The only way Russia will get its money’s worth is if Washington overreacts and narrows the very freedoms that make America different in the first place.

Posted - October 16, 2017

Responses

Absolutely not.

Those kind of ad campaigns work by repetition. A nationwide $100,000 ad campaign would be like a fart in a hurricane. And on Facebook? Who the hell looks at the ads on Facebook? (I actually have access to the Nielsen data . . . )

No, Hil-LIAR-y's own attitude towards the election and the "fly-over" States' voters (it's my turn, damn it, MY TURN!, I don't care what all those "deplorables" want, and I don't care about that Bill of Rights, especially that damned 2nd Amendment) coupled with her long history (Bimbo eruptions, travel gate, steer-futures gate, Whitewater . . . just for starters) did her in with the voters. She IS the SWAMP. But make no mistake about it, the election was more about who the people didn't want than who they did want, idiot liberals on this site aside (are you paying attention to that Mr. Trump?). This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 16, 2017 6:05 PM MDT
      October 16, 2017 2:02 PM MDT

Yes.

What I don't truly believe is the spin everyone is trying to put on it.

October 16, 2017 2:51 PM MDT

So, you voted for Trump based on Facebook ads ?

Very impressionable, aren't you ?
      October 16, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

i have no idea about that
      October 16, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

If it's a beat-up, why is Trump trying to kill the investigation?
    Apathy got him elected, DT got his votes out. Most Democrat voters were lulled by polls that put Hillary ahead by a huge margin, so didn't bother to actually show up and vote.
      October 16, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

I am not so sure they did not come out to vote....all of the Obama voters I know did vote this time around...But they all voted for Trump. 
      October 16, 2017 5:33 PM MDT

Lol
      October 16, 2017 7:42 PM MDT

Hillary caused Trump to win and time she takes responsibility for it.
      October 16, 2017 9:25 PM MDT

For heavens sake!!!  A huge kerfuffle over nothing!   How much money was spent?

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 17, 2017 1:15 AM MDT
      October 17, 2017 12:54 AM MDT