Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Any of you affected directly or indirectly by the abuse/overuse of opiods? Thousands of people have died. Anyone YOU knew?

Any of you affected directly or indirectly by the abuse/overuse of opiods? Thousands of people have died. Anyone YOU knew?

Posted - October 17, 2017

Responses

Personally, I have not ever taken an opioid.  I have been able to control paid with Advil.  I don't know anyone myself who has been or is affected by this terrible situation.
      October 17, 2017 10:54 AM MDT

My younger sis has been on opiods for many years Spunky. Without them she would be an invalid due to a herniated disk. She is monitored very closely and sees her doc every 3 months.  She is allowed to take 4 pills a day but doesn't. She takes whatever she needs to get by so some days it's 2 or other days it's 3.  I've never taken them. I guess by the time folks don't need them for pain they are already addicted. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 18, 2017 2:28 AM MDT

Fortunately, I can deal with the minor pain of my herniated disk with over the counter meds.  I'm sorry your sister has that kind of pain.
      October 18, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

I'm glad you're able to do that Spunky. My Jim has a herniated disk too as I think I told you and he does not take opiods either.  It's really hard to see your baby sister hunched over as she walks. She used to be 5'10". I was 5-6/34".  She is my height now. I've only shrunk a little. I measure 5' 6". Jim used to be taller than me and is my height now as well. I'm really lucky that my back is fine. Since I'm almost 80 I think that won't change. Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 19, 2017 3:18 AM MDT

I've shrunk about 1.5 inches.  You are lucky that you don't have back problems.  Let's hope it stays that way. )  Happy Thursday. :)
      October 19, 2017 9:11 AM MDT

My mother was given a bottle of that stuff to counter against back surgery related pain. The pills made her hallucinate severly! I flushed 'em down the toilet. 
      October 17, 2017 11:28 AM MDT

Ouch...it is recommended not to flush opioids or any other scrip meds down the toilet. We have a drop-box at UTMC. I don't know If your area has one, but any hospital should take them off your hands.
      October 17, 2017 12:52 PM MDT

Oh my goodness how scary is that? Good thing you realized the connection although flushing them down the toilet doesn't seem like the best way to get rid of them. Thank you for your reply bh and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 18, 2017 2:30 AM MDT

No one that I know of Rosie......I take you mean pain killers ? 
      October 17, 2017 11:39 AM MDT

Yes honey I do. It is an EPIDEMIC in the US! My sis has been on opiods for years because of a herniated disk but she sees her doctor every 3 months to be checked out. Her prescription is for a specific amount...she is allowed to take 4 pills a day but never does. If it were not for the pills she would be an invalid because the pain is so bad. I saw a stat yesterday that reported almost 70,000 folks in America DIED from opoids in one year! It is a crisis over here.  Apparently after the pain is gone the person has become addicted. Don't know why some drugs are addictive and some are not. I'm glad you have no direct or indirect experience with them. Thank you for your reply NJ and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 18, 2017 2:25 AM MDT

Indirectly...my brother-in-law takes about ten a day. I once took a Percocet after surgery and it didn't work. I just use Ibuprofen.
      October 17, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

My sis has been on opiods for years due to the pain from a herniated disk. I think her prescription allows her to take 4 a day but she never takes that many...just what she get by on. Those pills keep her from being an invalid but she is monitored very closely. I'm 7 years older and she is the one with the old lady walk. Jim has a herniated disk too but the pain/discomfort he feels is tolerable. He is not a pill taker. Me? I feel like a kid. No pain anywhere except occasionally arthritis flares up but it only lasts a day. I'm really lucky.  Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy  Wednesday! :)
      October 18, 2017 2:20 AM MDT

You are very lucky indeed.
      October 18, 2017 7:11 AM MDT

No. I know some who do take for pain but no addictions. 
    I have had script for pain after surgery but I really did not do much. I have better luck with aspirin.  
      October 17, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

My sister has a herniated disk in her back and she has been taking opiods for years. She is almost 73 and she is monitored very carefully. She has to go in to see her doctor every 3 months. She is allowed a certain amount in her prescription for that time period. She has never been a pill taker so she always takes the least amount she can get by with. The drug  keeps her from being an invalid.  I feel so sorry for her. She's my "baby" sister...7  years younger..and she is the one who walks like an old lady. Jim has a herniated disk too but the pain it causes him is tolerable so he takes nothing. SIGH.  As if getting older isn't hardship enough. To be saddled with terrible pain on top of that seems so unfair. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Wednesday to thee. I'm so lucky! :)
      October 18, 2017 2:07 AM MDT

I got a deep laceration on my finger tip one time so i went to the ER to get some stitches. Anyways, while I was waiting, I heard a woman in the pod next to my begging the MD for a pain med prescription. She was hysterical. "NO WAY! YOU ARE A DRUG ADDICT!", he replied. That's all I got. 
      October 17, 2017 8:31 PM MDT

That's plenty righty. It probably shocked the he** outta you to be there in pain yourself and have to hear that. I feel sorry for anyone who is in terrible pain...especially those who are like her....addicted. The physician or attendant who said that seems very cruel to me. He couldn't give her something to ease the pain? Not even an aspirin? Lousy bedside manner for sure. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 18, 2017 2:16 AM MDT

I couldn't see what was going on, Rosie, but I guess the physician figured her crying was from withdrawals, not pain. Maybe they gave her something in the end. I have no idea what happened with her. :(
      October 19, 2017 8:27 AM MDT

Not now.  When I was younger and used to do drugs myself I had friends OD.  Fortunately I left that behind or grew out of it.  
      October 18, 2017 7:17 AM MDT

You dodged a HUGE bullet officegirl. Thank you for your reply. Having friends OD must have been very painful and scary too. :(
      October 19, 2017 4:04 AM MDT

November, 15th 2015  (same day my grandson was born ironically) I got in a car accident and broke 16 ribs. I HAD to take pain pills. I took them for about three months, the pain was that bad, and when I stopped, I craved them. I guess thats what you call addiction. My doctor just weened me off ,, slowly decreasing the amount until no amount was left. It a little unpleasant, but much better than stopping them abruptly.
      October 18, 2017 10:36 AM MDT

I'm glad you were able to kick the habit. I don't understand WHY the pharmaceutical companies can't make drugs without any addictive properties to them. Thank you for your reply cp and Happy Thursday to thee!
      October 19, 2017 4:06 AM MDT

That would be nice. I just dont think theyve come up with anything more effective than opiotes for pain. 
      October 19, 2017 4:27 AM MDT

Apparently not.  Scary. Thank you for your reply cp.
      October 19, 2017 4:30 AM MDT