Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you fry your eggs in butter, margarine, bacon fat or something else.

Do you fry your eggs in butter, margarine, bacon fat or something else.

Posted - October 19, 2017

Responses

I have a teflon pan, and it looks like you do too. Why use anything.
      October 19, 2017 3:40 PM MDT

The teflon is worn. I use a cast iron skillet and baste them with bacon grease. I call it the 'heart buster' breakfast.
      October 19, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

I haven't fried an egg in about a thousand years. I make rice pudding using a half gallon of milk and a dozen eggs, and store it in Zip-Loc cups so I can nuke a cup and have breakfast without having to wake up. Sometimes I make a waffle and I think "Gee, it would be nice to have a fried egg on top." And then I think "Naw!"
      October 19, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

I have cut waaaaay back on eggs. The "Jimmy is that you" cartoon has stayed with me.  :  (
      October 19, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

Eggs are an uber food.
      October 19, 2017 8:16 PM MDT

I use sunflower oil
      October 19, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

I don't exactly fry eggs, I cook what we call messed-up eggs.   I put a little cheese in the skillet and turn on the heat until the cheese begins to melt then stir it around...that is plenty of oil to cook the eggs.  I crack the eggs then break the yellows and stir them around a bit, cook until starting to brown, then turn and cook until starting to brown.  Now these are my favorite eggs for eating with grits or for making an egg sandwich.  If I don't use cheese a use a few drops of peanut oil.
      October 19, 2017 5:14 PM MDT

I think I will try that.
      October 19, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

Cool beans!

October 20, 2017 1:24 AM MDT

Wow Thriftymaid, that is exactly how I cook my eggs, but I use butter instead of oil. Its sort of like an organized scrambled egg with cheese. I love the way you described your eggs. Makes me want some of yours. ;)
      October 19, 2017 8:00 PM MDT

Throw in some onions, garlic and salsa...a mega-scramler.
      October 19, 2017 8:11 PM MDT

I often cut up an onion and couple of cloves of garlic, saute, and then add an egg and swish it around.  I have always loved eggs.  When done like this I like to have a chunk of French bread with.
      October 20, 2017 1:22 AM MDT

I prefer cooking spray and a high quality Teflon frying pan. Butter is a natural fat and is ok when used in small amounts when cooking. Margarine was invented in the 1950s to help cook meals, because it melted faster. This post was edited by ally at October 19, 2017 7:58 PM MDT
      October 19, 2017 5:17 PM MDT

Teflon?

Nothing like a good whiff of phosgene gas to get the day started.
      October 19, 2017 7:11 PM MDT

A Teflon pan emits about the same amounts and types of poisonous gases as its plastic handle. Regardless of what you have been told, no parakeet has ever been killed by gases from a hot frying pan, Teflon or any other brand.
      October 20, 2017 9:21 AM MDT

First, it's like ionizing radiation. It's cumulative over time and repeated exposure.

PTFE is no longer the choice for insulation on plenum rated cabling for that very reason. (Always wondered why Dupont has allowed the use of their trademark for cookware coatings but staunchly prohibits using the Teflon brand name for plumbing tape . . .)

Never said or implied that the plastic used in the handles of cheaper pans was safe either. Ours have metal handles. 

Not that it's a valid test to begin with but how do you know that parakeets have not died from such exposure? Pet caged birds die all the time and, so far as I know, there's never an autopsy performed. 

But you go ahead and keep using it. Grab a pack of cigarettes while your at it too.
    This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 21, 2017 3:33 PM MDT
      October 20, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

Dupont says nobody has ever sent them a carcass of a bird that allegedly died from exposure to hot Teflon. Birds that died in tests were exposed to breakdown products that were recirculated through a heater, breaking up any large particles. Any natural scenario finds the breakdown products combining with smoke, dust, or even each other so the particles are too large to be inhaled. Teflon is the safest material ever made by man. 
      October 21, 2017 10:38 AM MDT

"Dupont says" . . .now THAT'S funny! LOVE to see a link to where Dupont has actually "said" something that stupid. Has there ever been actual scientific testing done on the subject?

"Any natural scenario finds the breakdown products combining with smoke, dust, or even each other . . . "; you left lung tissue off the list. Would you have a link to an actual scientifically conducted study that demonstrates that's what occurs? And those newly formed "particles" (what process bonds them into one?) must be larger than asbestos fibers then. (I can actually see those with my naked eye.) And then there's the gases like phosgene; what happens to them? Do those molecules lump together in yet larger molecules that become too large to "inhale"? How big would those molecules, those particles have to be, exactly? How many microns on diameter? I know a kid that inhaled a peanut, which I can see, without benefit of scanning electron microscope, so I'm pretty sure that you have no clue as to what you're talking about when you say that.

And "Teflon is the safest material every made by man" . . . yet more proof that you don't have a clue . . . 
      October 21, 2017 12:37 PM MDT

"Other than the possible risk if flu-like symptoms from breathing in fumes from an overheated Teflon-coated pan, there are no known risks to humans from using Teflon-coated cookware. While PFOA [not PTFE, get your polymers right] is used in making Teflon, it is not present (or present in extremely small amounts) in Teflon-coated products."
    https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/teflon-and-perfluorooctanoic-acid-pfoa.html This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 21, 2017 10:33 PM MDT
      October 21, 2017 10:31 PM MDT

No, no, no, no, no. Sounds like you're suffering from "The Cooper Effect" at the moment.

Teflon is Dupont's registered trademark for polytetrafluoroethylene, PTFE for short.. That's the stuff that cookware is coated with, not the PFOA that you allude to. And why hasn't Dupont ever licensed the Teflon name for plumbing tape?. (You probably don't know about plumbing tape as I strongly suspect that Australia still uses the British/European system of sealing threaded pipe joints with hemp packing, not that there's anything wrong with that.) 

PFOA, also known as C8, is an entirely different chemical . While it's used in the manufacture of PTFE, in theory most of it is "burned off" during the manufacturing process . . . in theory . . .  It's "charm " is that it never goes away, never breaks down into other chemicals, which makes one wonder what really happens to it after it's used in the PTFE manufacturing process. (There's another one of those chemicals that never go away that's heavily used called PFOS; that one is also of concern too.)

And exposure to the fumes from "overheating" cookware (just how do we define "overheating"?) causes "flu-like" symptoms? Why, I have those very symptoms every time I drink a cup of coffee or a glass of water or breathe in fresh, clean air! Nothing to see here folks, keep moving along . . . That's known as an "adverse reaction" to the exposure, your body telling you that the exposure is a bad thing. Just how gullible can people be?

With your link you seem to think that cancer is the only danger presented by these products. And it may well be a significant factor as there's been a strong uptick in all manner of cancers during the last 1/2 century, just no research to tie the two together but a LOT of money doled out to keep them separate. So cancers may well be of concern in spite of what your lame Google search turned up. And there are many other maladies that long-term, repeated exposure to PTFE vapors and particles could be attributable to.such as COPD. No one has really studied what such long-term exposure can do. (How long did it take to figure out the hazards of exposure to asbestos and to tobacco smoke?) 
      October 21, 2017 11:39 PM MDT

• Whilst training in my youth soldering near PTFE insulated wire o rings or bushes, stand offs (all electrical insulators) needed an extractor hood as the deadly chlorine gas was produced at around 600 Celsius so you're right if you forget a frypan and let it over heat there may be trouble
      October 22, 2017 1:34 AM MDT

Butter---KerryGold specifically since my sister-in-law suggested I try some.  But I don like lace on my eggs at all as I see in your picture..

October 19, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

Canola oil. The eggs have enough cholesterol in them already. 
      October 19, 2017 6:04 PM MDT

Good cholesterol. My dietition said eat all the eggs I want.
      October 19, 2017 8:15 PM MDT