Active Now

Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What scares you?

What scares you?

Posted - October 21, 2017

Responses

I live way out in the countryside and have found a piece of wooden fence with wide claw marks and deep teeth marks in it. I live in an area where such things as cougars are not known to live. A big cat is the only thing that could put claw marks that deep into the wood. 
      October 21, 2017 12:35 PM MDT

No, that's not true.

But first, how old is that piece of fencing and how "fresh" do those marks appear to be?

I ask because at one time cougars weren't unheard of in the east, they can still be found in Florida. And then there's the cougars smaller cousin the Bobcat. They have rather formidable claws and teeth too. 

There's also Ursus americanus which can be found in at least 49 of the 58 States (maybe 57 of the 58 States, haven't researched where those new ones are since I found about the 8 new ones from our former President). And if you're out in the western part of the USA there's the black bear's bigger cousins too . . . 

October 21, 2017 12:55 PM MDT

Bears have claws like a dog, not really sharp enough to dig into wood like on my fence. Bears are seen around here every few years or so. I've never heard of any bobcats  around here.  Same with wolverines. They could do this kind of damage to the fence. 
      October 24, 2017 12:06 PM MDT

Ever seen a bear's claws up close and personal? (You don't want to, trust me.)

Bears' claws don't retract like a cats' claws do but they're still damn sharp. Same for their teeth. Just ask anyone that's been mauled by one and is still alive to tell about it.

And as to bobcats and other wild felines . . . the latest critter to show up in my area (within 40-miles of DC) is the venerable coyote. There was an "eastern" coyote a long while back, but it was believed to be extinct. Biologists aren't sure if the new canine is a resurgence of the eastern variety (which, I'll bet, is the same genetically as the western coyote) or is just western coyote moving in this direction.

If it's anything else I wouldn't worry; they won't eat much if they do get hold of you . . . 

But, may I ask which State or Providence you're living in?
      October 24, 2017 1:16 PM MDT

Trump being President
      October 21, 2017 5:51 PM MDT

October 21, 2017 11:20 PM MDT

Religious fundamentalists; when they find out I am atheist they attack me with their pitchforks. 
      October 22, 2017 1:34 AM MDT

life sometimes
      October 22, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

Richard Simmons

October 24, 2017 12:22 AM MDT

• microaggressions and the patriarchy, websites without content warnings
      October 24, 2017 7:08 PM MDT