Discussion » Questions » Finance » Have you considered diversifying your assets with physical gold and silver?

Have you considered diversifying your assets with physical gold and silver?

Posted - November 3, 2017

Responses

When I joined the Navy and opened a bank account I thought it might be a good idea to make arrangements with the bank to buy an ounce of gold (certificates) each month.  Gold was $35/ounce then I just never got around to doing that. After 9 years in the Navy I would have had about 100 ounces of gold. Not long after I got out gold shot up to around  $900. per ounce. I did buy a few ounces of gold occasionally later but I could never hang onto it long enough to make much profit.
      November 3, 2017 11:16 AM MDT

no
      November 3, 2017 11:47 AM MDT

I had some silver and a few gold coins but I gave them to my children. If I had to invest in gold and silver, it would be uncirculated rare coins. They are second only to diamonds as investment choices. Problem is...I don't have that much money. So no, I wouldn't.
      November 3, 2017 12:58 PM MDT

I have been doing exactly that for the last 17 years. Right now the price of gold is about 75 times the price of silver. That number varies from 30 to over 100. So when it goes down, I swap my silver for gold, and when it goes up I swap my gold for silver. One year I almost doubled my stash in just six months. This is an EXTREMELY boring business, but it has been very good to me.

Some friends started a forum to chat while we watched the metals markets. But there has been no activity in eight years, so everybody has lost interest in the site and it no longer functions. When I say boring, I mean super boring!
      November 3, 2017 11:27 PM MDT

I have noticed that amateur investors almost never know what "diversify" means. They seem to think it means "buy some stuff that you would normally consider insane." 

"Diversify" means you are not sure you know what you are doing, so you buy something that you expect to go up if you are wrong. Many or most stock suckers would not buy gold or silver for any reason. 
      November 3, 2017 11:31 PM MDT

Well...a gold or silver toilet.....Oh NO;)) This post was edited by Veena.K at November 3, 2017 11:32 PM MDT
      November 3, 2017 11:31 PM MDT