Active Now

Malizz
DannyPetti
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Environment » What do your do in your life to reduce emissions of gases that contribute to the Greenhouse Effect?

What do your do in your life to reduce emissions of gases that contribute to the Greenhouse Effect?

Referring specifically to emissions of CO2, methane, nitrous oxide and aerosol propellants?

Posted - June 22, 2016

Responses

• D&D

What about CFC (chlorofluorocarbon) ?

I open the fridge only for a moment. I don't linger.

June 23, 2016 10:58 PM MDT

• I think natural cloth require less environmentally damaging processes to produce. Many synthetics are derivatives of petrochemicals. The latest bamboo fabrics from China take so much treatment to soften the fibres that they do a lot of damage in toxins released into rivers and the power used in processing. Cotton is disastrous when grown on a commercial scale, except for organic producers. Some wools have some problems but very minor compared to the preceding. The fabrics that least damage the environment are made from flax, hemp, and various species of wool.

Natural fibres can be composted at the end of their useful life. Artificial ones persist in the environment and lead to numerous problems like micro fibres turning up in the guts and flesh of fish.

I enjoy needlework too. Can't imagine the leaf thing, except for dyes, unless your name is Adam.

June 24, 2016 2:31 AM MDT

• Yes, that not wasting power with the fridge is a good one - so easy - and it helps keep the bill down.

CFC's have been banned, world-wide, from fridges and aerosols for well over twenty years now.

With the result that the whole in the ozone layer in the antarctic has now closed again.

This has been one of the greatest successes of scientist, activists, and governments together acting to heal a devastating environmental problem.

There are new propellants in aerosols which might be problematic but scientists do not yet have the technology to  test the effects and concentrations.

If I need to paint, I avoid aerosols just as a precaution.

June 25, 2016 12:07 AM MDT