Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Does your electronic personal hand-held communications device talk to you? Is it ever rude?

Does your electronic personal hand-held communications device talk to you? Is it ever rude?

Posted - November 12, 2017

Responses

not yet
      November 12, 2017 2:54 PM MST

not rude but cheeky for sure
      November 12, 2017 3:16 PM MST

J. C. Penney stores used to have cash registers that barked when any mistake came up. Sort of an electronic raspberry. I don't think they lasted long.
      November 13, 2017 3:24 AM MST

Only in Navigator mode. It's never rude, but sometimes wrong.
      November 13, 2017 4:40 AM MST

I don't think I have one.  I do carry a little flip phone but it does not talk to me.  If it did I would throw it away.  
      November 13, 2017 8:06 AM MST

Google Chrome browser is about as bad as I will put up with. The general impression is that the programmers think they own my computer. I prefer Firefox, but occasionally it gets freakish and doesn't straighten out until two or three updates are installed. For instance I can not use Firefox on Facebook because cursor keys do unpredictable things. Chrome gets annoying when I want to do something and the browser wants to argue with me. I mean when I press Alt-F4 I expect the program to quit, not argue because I am about to lose data.
      November 13, 2017 6:02 PM MST

Do all those words in the question mean "Portable Telephone"?  :-)

It talks to me when I top it up (PAYG), and is very pleasant. The recording's lady used to say at one point, "I'll just put that [the payment] through for you", and was followed by the characteristic sound of an old-fashioned, mechanical shop till. Fortunately they removed that nonsense a long time ago.

My sat-"nag" (as a friend calls it) is very polite too even if I make a mistake in following it. This is usually on a confusing roundabout when "her" directions are often a bit late for the manoeuvres and you are not sure if "she" has counted your entry road as one of the exits.   

If anyone is rude, it's usually me telling the unfortunate monitor what I think of Microsoft's illiteracy and arrogant assumption that it knows better than me, what I need or wish to do!  
      November 17, 2017 11:08 AM MST