Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If you could meditate your way deeply into the infinite depths of your subconscious do you think you would find God at the bottom?

If you could meditate your way deeply into the infinite depths of your subconscious do you think you would find God at the bottom?

-Or experience a sensation like being in the presence of God?

Posted - November 24, 2017

Responses

That's a hard one to answer.

My God has always been "on call" and requires no technology to contact formally.  (He's always also around as well, so the concept of being "on call" is just an example of the inadequacy of language to fully describe easily what is happening.)

And generally speaking, I frequently ask God to get into my subconscious and straighten it up---make sure everything is properly filed and cross referenced so that my thinking is more likely to be efficacious and in agreement with His will.

And I have "experienced a sensation like being in the presence of God"---but the way that He shares His presence varies.
      November 24, 2017 12:26 PM MST

One time I was feeling really stressed about a situation I had to deal with shortly I took a path into the nearby forest to try relax my mind a bit. I went off the path and found a quiet place to sit among the trees. In a short time I began to feel the stress vanishing and feeling energized and renewed; a theist would describe that as like 'being in the healing preesence of God' (I don't believe in supernatural spirituality) and anyway I took my time and relaxed for about half hour then walked out and was able to handle 'the situation' easily and smoothly. 
    Some years later I found out I had stumbled upon a practice known as Japanese forest bathing. This post was edited by Kittigate at November 25, 2017 6:39 PM MST
      November 24, 2017 1:03 PM MST

There is much to be said for the presence of oxygen emitted by the flora of the forest, as well as the primal connection with nature in our mind. 
      November 24, 2017 1:11 PM MST

Also interesting.
      November 24, 2017 1:33 PM MST

Interesting
      November 24, 2017 1:32 PM MST

Isaiah 30:21- And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left. 
      November 24, 2017 1:08 PM MST

My understanding of this is that if you stray to the right or to the left of the appropriate path, like the shepherd following his sheep, he will make sure they get back on the correct path.
      November 24, 2017 1:40 PM MST

This was to metaphorically address the second paragraph of your answer. To be receptive to guidance from God. There isn’t an applicable scripture about arranging the subconscious file room. :)

November 24, 2017 3:02 PM MST

Got it.  lol
      November 24, 2017 4:55 PM MST

I think it important to evaluate one’s own concept of God, or whatever sits in the place of “the source of it all”. 

For me, No - life and the universe work as they are without divine beings or the psychological baggage that accompanies them. I don’t feel the sense of need to assign supernatural answers to natural enigmas. Nor do I find merit in the assertions of the various dogma about deities.  

I do understand the pervasiveness of the wishful thinking that begot the gods, and in small measure share the hope that is intrinsic to this thinking, but I don’t base my most seminal beliefs on it. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 26, 2017 7:07 AM MST
      November 24, 2017 12:29 PM MST

NOT finding God at the bottom
    but in the midst of everything.
    Being in the presence of God,
    YES, that is where Meditation
    will take you.
         Beyond the mind, beyond the Ego....
    When the mind is still with no thoughts 
    running through it and when the Ego has dissolved
    through Deep Meditation, we are in the presence
    of the Absolute State of Consciousness,
    the Light of Christ Consciousness,
    the light of your Self.
         God exists within you as you.
    And through deep meditation
    we experience the oneness
    of that Absolute Truth.
      November 24, 2017 1:09 PM MST

anything is possible
      November 24, 2017 1:30 PM MST

Goodness don't have to go through all that to find God.  We are always in the presence of God. 
      November 24, 2017 3:10 PM MST

Just being more aware at times than other times. 
      November 24, 2017 7:09 PM MST

When I meditate that deeply, I fall asleep.  It's been a very embarrassing situation in my yoga class. 
      November 24, 2017 4:18 PM MST

If you don't find God then maybe you might at least find Superman or somebody. 
      November 24, 2017 7:13 PM MST

I'm trying but I still haven't found any man that's more super than me. 
      November 25, 2017 6:10 AM MST

I think first of all you must understand you are not going down.  God is at the top. 

You meditate to raise consciousness and get lighter, not heavier.

Thus the up and not down.  Deep does not necessarily mean down. 

As we are both aware, there is no up nor down where we are trying to travel. 
      November 24, 2017 4:31 PM MST

Your God is only a Planck length away no matter which direction meditation takes you. Some people can achieve visions of future events deep In the subconscious. 
    The infinity is yours. 
      November 24, 2017 7:06 PM MST

There is no God.
      November 24, 2017 4:35 PM MST

Being atheist I make use of a God substitute which i perceive as an invisible force that occurs naturally and mysteriously kind of like God but is indifferent to worship and prayer.
      November 24, 2017 6:12 PM MST

• Your post could be my words exactly. Like it!!!!!
      November 25, 2017 6:56 PM MST

• Hi, Kittigate, I like your question very much as well as the answers from muggers. It felt like sitting anywhere together and talking in a manner which is rather relaxing than too exciting. Can I add you as a friend, please?
      November 25, 2017 7:02 PM MST

Well 'course you can.
      November 25, 2017 7:20 PM MST