Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Aside from the collection plate thing what church traditions have endured since houses of worship were first established?

Aside from the collection plate thing what church traditions have endured since houses of worship were first established?

Posted - December 6, 2017

Responses

I am kinda stumped from the get go. They didn't pass plates in the Bible so not sure why you said that has endured since houses of worship were first established? Anyone known as 'Christians' didn't do that until some time after the foretold apostasy was under way.
    These came up in a google search in trying to find out when it originated:
    https://www.cnn.com/2015/06/14/us/sunday-stickup/index.html

https://www.christianitytoday.com/history/2009/march/passing-plate.html
      December 6, 2017 5:17 PM MST

Interesting thanks- i just assumed that was why they built houses of worship in the first place. The bible does talk about giving -re:  the poor woman giving her mites having greater significance than the better off giving their dollars.

When I was with the Baha'i Faith people we were expected to give 19 percent.  The number 19 has significant meaning in the Baha'i Faith religion. 
      December 6, 2017 5:49 PM MST

As first century Christians did not get paid for preaching, there was no need for tighingl

(1 Timothy 6:5, 6) constant disputes about minor matters by men who are corrupted in mind and deprived of the truth, thinking that godly devotion is a means of gain. 6 To be sure, there is great gain in godly devotion along with contentment.
    (2 Corinthians 9:7) Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

(1 Thessalonians 2:9) Surely you remember, brothers, our labor and toil. We were working night and day, so that we would not put an expensive burden on any one of you, when we preached the good news of God to you.
    (2 Thessalonians 3:7-11) For you yourselves know how you should imitate us, because we did not behave in a disorderly way among you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food free. On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you. 9 Not that we do not have authority, but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate. 10 In fact, when we were with you, we used to give you this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.” 11 For we hear that some are walking disorderly among you, not working at all, but meddling with what does not concern them.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002881?q=%22Giving+That+Brings+Joy%22&p=par
      December 6, 2017 6:59 PM MST

No religion can survive without money. They just have different ways of getting it.
    Some pass plates, others sell books and magazines.
      December 9, 2017 3:33 PM MST