Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Past and present waitresses and waiters: what are three things you like for customers to do with the dishes and silverware before leaving?

Past and present waitresses and waiters: what are three things you like for customers to do with the dishes and silverware before leaving?

For instance, I always stack the dishes from largest on the bottom to smallest on the top, I move them to the side of the table closest to where the waitperson or busperson can retrieve them, I place all the silverware in one direction alongside the dishes, and I wipe crumbs off the seats. 
~

Posted - December 6, 2017

Responses

theee?   THEEE?

You disgust me. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 6, 2017 9:00 PM MST
      December 6, 2017 8:05 PM MST

December 6, 2017 9:02 PM MST

I was told that it is rude to stack dishes for the waiter.  Like you are doing his job for him.

Well, guess what?  I have been one and I think it is awesome when people try to be thoughtful.

How can anyone be insulted by it?

Thoughtful.

As a waitress I want you to do one thing.  Leave a proper TIP.

Oh yeah, and don't complain and bug me.

And order all at once, okay?
      December 6, 2017 8:09 PM MST

Thank you, but I'm not asking about the overall experience, just the condition of the table when leaving, so stacking the dishes counts as part one of three. You now owe me parts two and three of the answer.  

Oh, and here's a tip for you: stay off of Clancy Street and Pierside Avenue after dark. It's dangerous out there. 
    ~

December 6, 2017 9:07 PM MST

What means this "theee" to which you refer?
      December 6, 2017 8:34 PM MST

December 6, 2017 9:01 PM MST

1) put a tip under the plate
    2) dont stack plates, too many people leave uneaten food on their plates, and that becomes a mess.
    3) place the silverware neatly by the pate (or on it) so it is easy to grab.
    4 never stack glasses. It tends to make them break.
      December 6, 2017 9:50 PM MST

6) Oh, And if it is a place where a lot of beer i drunk (drinked?) do not rarrange the bottles. Th waiter carefully place them before the individual drinker, and they are his way of keeping track of how many each guest have had.
      December 6, 2017 10:02 PM MST

Throw them away.
      December 6, 2017 11:02 PM MST

Dishwashing on ships are a bit of a problem. You do not want to wash them in salty water, and wery little space is allocated for dishwashing facilities. My uncle worked as a diver, and on the bottom of Copenhagen harbor he found big piles of cutlery. On investigatin it turned out that many employees on the Denmar-Sweden ferries just threw the dirty cutlery overboard instead of washing it.
      December 7, 2017 2:48 AM MST

Yep.  Sounds like a good plan to me.  ;)
      December 7, 2017 6:36 PM MST