Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Have you ever experienced something that was so traumatic that you lost the ability to feel emotions?

Have you ever experienced something that was so traumatic that you lost the ability to feel emotions?

If so, and you then recovered enough to begin feeling again, do you sometimes miss that numbness?

Posted - December 10, 2017

Responses

It's very superficial, I guess, because it's about a movie - - but I sort of felt that way at the end of the movie "Ordinary People." 

The numbness indicated to me later of what a good movie it was with such strong performances from everyone! I like when movies turn me numb. It's happened more than once. (I wrote a "aM Statement" about movies that numbed me -- I posted it not too, too long ago, I think.)
    :)
      December 10, 2017 7:52 PM MST

It's an extraordinary film. 

I think that the mother (Mary Tyler Moore) was probably afflicted with the kind of numbness I'm talking about. That's the kind of tragedy that causes it. 

Thanks for your reply, Welby. Maybe I'll try to watch a numbing movie, but I'm sure that one wouldn't do it for me... as I am now crying just thinking about it. 

December 10, 2017 8:01 PM MST

Very insightful comments, SavvyAnsley!

(PLOT SPOILER!!! "Ordinary People" - - I think you and I might have a similar reaction to Mary Tyler Moore's character - - but EVERYONE I know just called her a huge "bit*h" and left it at that. But I still found myself asking "How did she get to such a point to behave this way?" I don't necessarily regard her as a bit*h in this movie.)
      December 10, 2017 8:07 PM MST

Those who most others dismiss as being b*tches or sons of bitc*es are quite fascinating, aren't they? Most unlikely to reveal any of the 'how' and 'why', though. I don't think many even think of it or even think of their own behavior at all, which is just incredible. I guess it's something similar to the numbness I was speaking of in this question.

Insight can be a double-edged sword, if you know what I mean.

April 2, 2022 9:28 AM MDT

I do, yes. Yup.
      April 2, 2022 6:40 PM MDT

All at once?  No.  It was a place I had to hurt my way down to...it wasn't living, just existing. 

Yes...and no. 
      December 10, 2017 8:01 PM MST

Thank you. 
      December 10, 2017 8:04 PM MST

Welcome.
      December 10, 2017 8:07 PM MST

Perhaps that describes my birth: I’ve never been one to “feel” very much, to have very stringent “emotions”.
    ~

April 2, 2022 11:05 AM MDT

Stringent is an interesting choice. 

It might just be a Bee Gees song. 
      April 2, 2022 5:45 PM MDT

The story of my life. Kinda! I feel way too much and I'm a mess.
      April 2, 2022 6:43 PM MDT

Yup. Too bad we can't share with those who can't feel enough (or at all, in some cases), huh? Everybody wins! 
      April 5, 2022 5:57 PM MDT