Active Now

Randy D
DannyPetti
CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Apparently Greenland Sharks live a very long time. Scientists tested one found in the north Atlantic and is between 272-512 years old! OLD?

Apparently Greenland Sharks live a very long time. Scientists tested one found in the north Atlantic and is between 272-512 years old! OLD?

It is said that aging in slowed if you live in a cold environment and your metabolism is sluggish .

Posted - December 14, 2017

Responses

Just what we need...a bunch of old Canadians.
      December 14, 2017 2:18 PM MST

I bet that shark has some stories to tell.
      December 14, 2017 2:40 PM MST

Yeah, back in my day, the young sharks respected their elders. Let me tell ya!
      December 14, 2017 2:53 PM MST

:):):)
      December 15, 2017 3:10 AM MST

I bet it had a Whale of a time relating to fishy stories about the ones that got away.... 
      December 14, 2017 4:14 PM MST

:):):)
      December 15, 2017 3:11 AM MST

If living in a cold environment makes one live longer, then I’m probably live to be 1,000!  Energy prices are so high that I can’t afford to turn on the heat (thank God for warm cats).

But seriously… did you ever think the reason these sharks live so long is because there’s no one around to stress them out? They have no president threatening to start WWIII (my fin's bigger than little rocket fish's is).  They don’t have to wonder if they’ll still have health care tomorrow (ah, but there is an opening in the boneyard).   They don’t have whales continually fleecing them for the fish they catch (cut, cut, cut).  They don’t have to worry that the ocean might downsize and lay them all off (will swim for food).  They don’t have to worry that their social security will be defunded (the whales need it to fund their bi-monthly trips to Bermuda).  They don’t have to worry about rising rents (that spot in the ocean will now cost you 50,000,000 clams).  No, they just swim happily around without a care in the world.  “Honey, does this seaweed make me look fat?”… ok, maybe one care.

December 14, 2017 2:45 PM MST

If living in a hot environment makes you live less, I probably died bout 20 years ago!
      December 14, 2017 4:17 PM MST

I always thought there was a certain special mystique about thee tex. Now I know why. You are a wraith/angel. Down-to-earth and other-worldly simultaneously! :)
      December 15, 2017 3:21 AM MST

You're too much kiddo! I'm giggling like crazy here Shuhak. You are seriously hilarious! I just thought it was such an extraordinary thing. I read the headline about a shark that was possibly 512 years old which would make it the oldest living vertebrate in the world! When I read the entire aritcle it said they weren't exactly sure of the age so they did the typical min-max cover-your-butt analysis. But even at 272 it's a stunning revelation in my opinion. I wonder what other wonderments exist about which we know zip? Thank you for the laughs today m'dear and Happy Friday! :)
      December 15, 2017 3:17 AM MST

Shuhak~  That was hilarious!!  ...  And accurate in a big oceanic sort of way!!  It was soooo good, I read it out loud to my husband, Don. :)  Thanks for the giggle and smile! :D!
      December 16, 2017 2:10 AM MST

i wonder how people figure out how long they live
      December 14, 2017 2:49 PM MST

They cut em in half and count the growth rings from the outer bark inward. Oh wait, they're not trees. Oopsy
      December 14, 2017 2:56 PM MST

:):):) Oh goodness gravy or good gravy or my goodness! This thread is priceless. Between you and Shuhak my insides are getting sore from laughing so hard! ((hugs))
      December 15, 2017 3:18 AM MST

Well good, glad to help!
      December 15, 2017 10:11 PM MST

:):):) Happy Saturday tex! :)
      December 16, 2017 3:33 AM MST

That was a great comeback too texasescimo :)
      December 16, 2017 2:12 AM MST

I read about ten years ago that they found huge sea encrustation in the very cold North Atlantic......it was thought to be maybe one thousand years old but kt died when they removed it from the seabed.....
      December 16, 2017 2:43 AM MST

Wow NJ! 1000 years old? They removed it and it died? That is so very sad. There was a movie long  ago starring the actor Ronald Coleman. WAY  before your time. I don't recall the name but he found his way to a remote village high in the mountains of Tibet I think...maybe Shangri-La? There he met a beautiful young woman and love bloomed. For whatever reason he had to leave and wanted her to go with him. She seemed reluctant to go but finally did and as she was getting further away from that magical place she aged rapidly and died I think. Living there was what kept her young and vibrant and alive. I think I"m remembering fairly accurately but I saw it when I was a kid and my memory isn't  that great any more. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      December 16, 2017 3:40 AM MST

Lost Horizon Rosie......I have it on DVD.....it was a banned film for many years ...it was released and first shown in 1937 
    For WW11 24 minutes were cut from it to cut down the Pacifist message it portrayed...Frank Capra made it and Ronald Coleman was in it and yes it was such a great film.....I have a book listing all the old great movies...

That makes great reading to.....

Check out Random Harvest ..... It's such a great story and I'm told the books even better.   Xxx
      December 16, 2017 8:20 AM MST

Oh my gosh honey! That's it!  That's the one! So you've seen it then? Oh my gosh.  And Random Harvest is a very GREAT movie. We watch Turner Classic Movies in the states and so we get to see these classics. I was born in 1937! Goodness I didn't know that was the year the film was released. I sure appreciate all this info NJ. I had no idea that any of it was cut because it was too pacifistic. AARRGGH! Butchering a lovely film for political reasons should be punished! Thank you for your very thoughtful and helpful reply  NJ and Happy Saturday to thee! :) ((hugs)) That's because you went out of your way for me. Well you've done it before too! If you are a Ronald Coleman fan did you happen too see A Tale of Two cities?  I think that's one where he dies in the place of another and says as he walks up the steps to his death "It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done. It is a far far better place I go than I have ever known" .:).
      December 16, 2017 8:29 AM MST

High Noon with with Gary Cooper was a sly hit at the American government when they branded actors communists for their passive beliefs against wars......I believe it continued for years as the American government branded actors cowards for their beliefs.....

yes ive seen A tale of two cities.....as a kid it upset me though....

I love ove to old films ...I can't stand the new ones.....most are all violent and have no story to them....Noting in them to make you think and everything needs expelling. :( 

December 16, 2017 8:44 AM MST

Of course it would upset you. I was upset too but in a very uplifting way. He gave his life for another.  We honor those in our military who do that NJ. Also cops and firefighters. Some believe there is nothing more noble than to give your life for another. I saw the movie when I was young and cried. Not because I was upset but because I thought it was such a beautifully magnificent thing to do. I was very impressed then and I am now by that act. I know it was fiction but we also know that in real life it occurs daily. I saw High Noon and liked it Okay but it is not a favorite. Gentlemen's Agreement...To Kill a Mockingbird...An American  in Paris...Singin' in the Rain...anything with Humphrey Bogart/Fred Astaire/Gene Kelly Those movies make my heart sing every time I see them.  Yankee Doodle Dandy. I love that movie too. But I digress! I agree with thee there is precious little in the present day that is memorable. Precious little. Much that is very popular with folks is undiluted CRAP! Different strokes! :( This post was edited by RosieG at December 16, 2017 9:15 AM MST
      December 16, 2017 9:14 AM MST

A film I loved as a kid was Miracle on 34 Street......it had 5 year old Natilie Wood in it....
    She always amazed me and was always word perfect  ...

The French made great old films to.....Check out Jean De Florette and its sequel Manon Des Sources.......
    You need to watch both in that order ......they are truly amazing films .........both perfectly shot.....both great stories and just so compelling to watch....
    They are both subtitled which makes them like reading a book and that makes things hit home harder I think and also feel.....
    im sure you'll both love them.....   N.j. Xxxx
      December 16, 2017 9:42 AM MST