Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Can you trust the Bible? - Below are some links that may at least help you to understand SOME of the reasons I do, if you care.

Can you trust the Bible? - Below are some links that may at least help you to understand SOME of the reasons I do, if you care.

I often get ridiculed on here when I post a verse or something. Recently someone made a post that I only believe the Bible because the Bible says to. Recently someone that ridicules the Bible said they had not read the Bible as they already know that the Bible is only fantasy. I know that I often come off offensive when people are attacking the Bible and I know I should not, even the Bible speaks against my doing that. I feel that some opposers may be sincere while others may just like to argue, ridicule, have an agenda or whatever. Anyway, for the sincere:

Can you trust the Bible?

Historical Soundness

Scientific Accuracy

Fulfilled Prophecy

(EDITED for those that didn't realize that the above are clickable links)

Posted - December 19, 2017

Responses

A tree is known by its fruit which sometimes show up as videos it selects to portray, and spread, its feelings about others? Inspired by your understanding of the message of Jesus? Poor guy, the things that are done in his name.
      February 22, 2018 5:00 PM MST

Jesus said that there would be those that profess to follow him and even do powerful works in his name. I call foul on those groups. From our conversations, you give the impression that pretty much anything goes in Islam. Or is it anything goes if the other side did it first like America? Or is it it's okay as long as other people in another century did it like in marrying children? No definite stand on anything, at least not clearly written in your post.
      February 22, 2018 5:32 PM MST

to some everything is either black or white. Most of those who look a little deeper realise that it's a little more complex than that. There are various shades of grey.
      February 22, 2018 7:54 PM MST

'Jesus said that there would be those that profess to follow him and even do powerful works in his name. I call foul on those groups.' so says a man that believes that jesus came to earth and gave his 'power of attorney' to a group of six financial scammers.
      June 8, 2018 6:08 AM MDT

• I grew up going to Catholic Church and spent probably thousands of hours listening to someone in an Armani suit explain the Bible verses to me. There is nothing anyone can say to convince me it’s not just another book. Because it is. I will never understand why people think that the Bible is more true and “real” while all other religious texts are bullsh*t and vice versa.
    It’s all the same. If someone wants to be a sheep and blindly follow religion, then go ahead, but stop trying to force it on to other people. 
      February 21, 2018 5:29 PM MST

That's the problem, you spend thousands of hours of listening to someone lie to you about what the Bible says. You probably think the Bible portrays God as a trinity, people have and immortal soul, your supposed to use religious titles like Father, Christians are supposed to wage warfare and all the traditional baloney not in the Bible. 
    Am I Right?
      February 21, 2018 7:38 PM MST

Your buybull is not historically sound, it may well have candor but until the main characters can be proven to have existed and done the deeds attributed to them it is far from honest, it contains many inconsistencies/contradictions so is not harmonious, I cannot think of any scientific points on which it can called accurate and I hope you are joking re. your fulfilled prophecies. So in summing up your Sheep Herders Guide to the Galaxy is no more trust worthy than its sequel The Camel Herders Guide to the Galaxy with its flying horses etc.

June 7, 2018 7:34 PM MDT

All a question like this accomplishes is to give rise to a bunch of long-winded claptrap that only Clurt and Texasescimo seem to care about and nobody reads. Yawn.
      June 7, 2018 11:23 PM MDT

There are two themes common to all those sorts of discussions.

Firstly, you cannot shake the religious enthusiast from thinking his or her personal interpretation of the cited scriptures, is always unquestionably and apparently self-evidently "right"; no matter what analysis or logic you apply against even that principle, let alone the details. Such a believer will commonly resort to convenient quotes as if the cited ancient text's mere existence and identity "prove" it "true"; but such defence is tenuous at best. The quotes prove only what their writers believed; but it is not necessary to believe their social myths and propaganda even to believe in their same god.

The second is not accepting that a belief personally "true" or perhaps comforting, is not therefore universally "true"-full-stop. Even among others worshipping the same deity. Simple observation shows the flaw in thinking it is.

The logical outcome of that "absolute truth" being universal, would mean a world divided simply between atheists and the religious, with the latter all holding a uniform set of deity, scriptures and homogenous interpretations.

No: a religious belief is only "true" in the sense it means more to its believer than do its alternatives. No religion, sect or scripture has any monopoly on truth, however strident or quote-ridden the attempt to claim it does. Indeed, even discounting the fascism of the Mediaeval Catholic Church, or the Taliban, the stronger the attempt to claim that monopoly of belief as a "truth" against theological, philosophical and historical questioning, the more absurd and ultimately futile the claim shows itself to be. 
      June 12, 2018 5:14 AM MDT