Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is this all you need to know about America?

Is this all you need to know about America?

Posted - January 4, 2018

Responses

That is probably true. I am completely fine with the fact that those people do not vote.
      January 4, 2018 5:10 AM MST

If only that were the most ridiculous thing to know! 

On a positive note, there are scores of us who don't even know what Jedi means! :)
      January 4, 2018 6:22 AM MST

NO...This is all you need to know. Rather dated, but still true.

January 4, 2018 9:07 AM MST

I love you.  :) 
      January 4, 2018 9:24 AM MST

I heard this on the radio years ago. It hit me pretty hard.
      January 4, 2018 11:56 AM MST

It did me this morning.  Thanks for posting it. 
      January 4, 2018 12:00 PM MST

I hope Slarti sees it. It should answer his question.
      January 4, 2018 12:03 PM MST

EXTREMELY dated, America has illegally armed rebels attempting to overthrow a democratically elected government in Nicaragua more recently than they have provided aid there. Also honest, hardworking, ordinary Americans are being screwed by their own government more than by the rest of the world. The dollar crashed because Nixon unilaterally smashed the gold standard to pay for a pointless war - the Yanks did it to themselves.
      January 4, 2018 7:15 PM MST

America does a lot of things wrong...but we do a lot right, too.  You said Element's video was dated, yet here is one from 2015 that says pretty much the same thing.  It, too, is a foreigner giving his view of America and Americans...he is from Australia.

January 5, 2018 9:05 AM MST

And what gives you the knowledge and the right to badmouth a nation in which you don't live, work, or vote? By contrast, what has Australia ever done to help others? Of course, I'm sure you don't have an answer to either of these questions.
      January 5, 2018 9:54 AM MST

https://dfat.gov.au/aid/aid-budgets-statistics/pages/default.aspx

I don't want to engage in a pointless d!ck measuring contest, but as a percentage of GDP ...

Incidentally, I didn't invent that meme. A lighthearted jab about priorities got blown WAAYYY out of proportion, and a few Seppos got butthurt. My2cents took it the way it was intended - a wry comment. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 5, 2018 1:24 PM MST
      January 5, 2018 1:20 PM MST

As a percentage of GDP what?
      January 5, 2018 1:35 PM MST

no, i need to know more
      January 4, 2018 4:35 PM MST

It certainly is more than you appear to know, despite your apparent obsession.
      January 5, 2018 9:22 AM MST

Don't know how much anyone "needs" to know about anything.  But that certainly doesn't tell you much about America. 
      January 5, 2018 10:38 AM MST

• Fifteenth Amendment to the Constitution:

Section. 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section. 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Voting is a "right" not a law to be enforced. Whether or not a person chooses not to vote is their business. Not your business, not my business, not anyone's business. There are many political and social concerns that we should absolutely complain about regardless of whether or not we feel empowered to vote in an election. As I mentioned, voting is a right. However, it is not the be all and end of all of social and political action. If only people could admit that, then maybe, just maybe our nation could begin to save itself from it's own idiocy. 

January 8, 2018 9:08 AM MST