Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What if someone gave you free will, but penalized you for using it?

What if someone gave you free will, but penalized you for using it?

Posted - January 17, 2018

Responses

• I would rebel against the unjust set-up.
    I would work out my own set of ethics
    and live according to the principle that no speech or action is without consequences,
    and that freedom is always limited by the responsibility not to harm others or encroach on their equal rights.
    Which is how I live anyway.
      January 17, 2018 4:58 PM MST

And the efficacy of that solution is dependent upon whether your judgment of that "set-up" is in fact "unjust."
      January 17, 2018 5:12 PM MST

If I gave you a very hot stove---and I explained to you what would happened if you touched it---would you think your were "punished" if you experienced the natural consequences of ignoring the guidelines of the proper use of a stove and got burned because you freely chose to ignore those instructions?

Or would you expect me to return it to 70 degrees the moment you touched it to prevent your getting burned?
      January 17, 2018 5:08 PM MST

I would move to a better neighborhood...
      January 17, 2018 6:24 PM MST

Someone did.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 17, 2018 7:48 PM MST
      January 17, 2018 7:09 PM MST

Jehovah had created Adam and Eve perfect and had endowed them with the quality of free will and the accountability that came with it.
    We too have free will but we are accountable for abusing it.
      January 17, 2018 7:24 PM MST

I've had relationships like that...
      January 18, 2018 4:12 AM MST

That happens in England now......  We're led by parasitic greedy  half wits and are ruled by stealth....soon we won't be able to pick our own noses without government permission.......
      January 18, 2018 4:30 AM MST

those terrorists came in pretty handy for most governments
      January 25, 2018 5:39 PM MST

How true is that statement......create disharmony and fear in people and the government ,insurance companies, fuel, gas and transportation all rise in price .........
    Media companies owners  and  the TV news cast and News Papers  all feed off of reporting bad things and make  most situations far far worse.....
    I think there there are far more nice people in the world than evil ones....... But nice news doesnt sell papers ...

Another thing that amuses me is how much money news readers make.......How on earth is just reading the news on TV worth million dollars salaries.......
    I get the feeling that they think of them selves as gods and are irreplaceable ..........in face it's such a menial job that any person could do most like.........more so if they are up their own arse and filled with self importance....lol 
      January 26, 2018 3:21 AM MST

"But nice news doesnt sell papers " indeed and it doesn't scare the public and doesn't give a chance to the government to assure the public that they really desperately need it and it is there to protect them.

The terrorists carry weapons, maim and kill innocent civilians. All those were already covered by the law anyway, but the government fools the public into allowing the government to pass even more laws, giving the government amazing powers of control over everybody. They take more taxpayers monies and spend them on bigger orders for the "security" and armaments industries while health and public services, which are what the public want and can benefit from, get worse. Priority should go to health and public services and not to war games, bombing far off countries into the stone age, creating human misery, refugee problems and resentment terrorism.
      January 26, 2018 10:58 AM MST

I can only agree with you 100 %..... Parasitic war mongers like Tony Blairs is personally responsible for so many deaths in the Middle East and for so many in the English army as well
      January 26, 2018 3:34 PM MST

Hear! hear! We urgently need a way out of this crazy system. If you, as a last resort, give your child a smack to instil manners, stop its tantrums or what have you, they might take you to court for using force and you may even lose custody of your child. But they can spend billions of your money and kill thousands to force a regime in a remote land to adopt their concept of democracy - and no one can take them to court. Perhaps the https://worldbeyondwar.org/ is a way out of this wasteful and destructive madness.

This post was edited by CLURT at January 26, 2018 6:38 PM MST
      January 26, 2018 4:38 PM MST

Are you British by any chance ? 
      January 26, 2018 6:39 PM MST

You could say I am, but I think it is precisely these kinds of labelling that are at the root of all this senseless slaughter, misery and disparity in our world. Islam is the bogeyman of this age but at least it tells us to throw away such divisive  labels and regard the whole of humanity as one caring and sharing family. Imagine if we took to heart just that one teaching from Islam, we wouldn't have any of the major problems we're suffering from. Oh, btw, if you want to look up the website I gave a link to in my last post, then remove from the https the s that Answermug always insists on adding. 
      January 27, 2018 7:37 AM MST

I meant do you live in England...I have a feeling you do....that's why I asked....

I dosn't follow or read about any religion.... We were never allowed to fill our heads with nonsense as kids....

January 27, 2018 8:31 AM MST

Yes, I do live in England. In the south east to be more precise.

I fully agree with you about nonsense. We must always question nonsense no matter where it comes from, not fill our heads with it. However, it is also not wise to assume, without examining, that something that seems nonsense on the outside is nonsense in the inside too. After all, nature teaches us that to get to what is precious, like gold, for example, one has to sift through, and reject, a lot of muck.

Anyway, the site I posted a link to has nothing whatsoever to do with religion. The name of the site is a good clue to what it's all about.

This post was edited by CLURT at January 27, 2018 10:42 AM MST
      January 27, 2018 10:27 AM MST

I couldn't acess the site from the link... I'll try again though...
      January 27, 2018 10:43 AM MST

Please do, but don't forget to remove the "s", as I suggested in my earlier post. I repeat the relevant bit below for your convenience:

"Oh, btw, if you want to look up the website I gave a link to in my last post, then remove from the https the s that Answermug always insists on adding."
      January 27, 2018 11:05 AM MST

Q "What if someone gave you free will, but penalized you for using it?"

It's not free will or it's a pointless one if
    - you are stopped from exercising it, or
    - you are protected from the predicted consequences of exercising it.

For example:

you cannot chop off your toe [say, the machete gets forcibly deflected] or
    you chop off your toe but feel no pain and the toe reattaches itself as before

you cannot eat honey [say, it becomes oil every time you try] or
    you eat honey but get neither the enjoyment nor the benefit of doing so
      January 25, 2018 6:37 PM MST

Blow his head off.
      January 25, 2018 6:45 PM MST

That's exactly what government do.......They live by a different set  rules to the ones they preside over....
      January 26, 2018 3:26 AM MST