Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » I'm afraid. Anxious. Funny how, despite looking at things logically, fear can still seemingly invade?

I'm afraid. Anxious. Funny how, despite looking at things logically, fear can still seemingly invade?

I've posted this song before, but I have it playing on "repeat." Comforting.

This is my favorite R.E.M. song (and, also. my favorite image I've yet to see of lead singer Michael Stipe).

Posted - January 24, 2018

Responses

I'm afraid that Stipe and the singer known as Seal both have had some nasty skin condition. 
      January 24, 2018 11:54 AM MST

And so have I.
    It makes no difference to me.
    :)

(And I still find both of those men very handsome.)

January 24, 2018 8:58 PM MST

Don't be afraid, everything will work out.   :  )

Have a nice cup of chamomile tea and relax. 
    This post was edited by Sunshine at January 25, 2018 7:36 PM MST
      January 24, 2018 2:31 PM MST

There's certainly something to your suggestion, as in, take care of myself -- which I admit I'm not doing lately.
    Thanks.
      January 24, 2018 8:53 PM MST

We find comfort from the safety of familiarity. We can often find peace and calm in the slow, gentle songs that makes us smile. Good vocals singing good lyrics, soft strumming, clean and precise harmonica. This guy hits the nail on the head for me. 

Song starts at 0:43

January 24, 2018 3:05 PM MST

Agreed.

Difficult to listen to -- my dad died just several weeks ago. But it's still a good listen.
    I liked the guy's speaking voice, too, in the seconds before he sang.
    Thanks for sharing the song.
      January 24, 2018 9:05 PM MST

I'm so sorry to hear that, Welby. I had no idea - wouldn't have posted that song had I known! :(
      January 26, 2018 8:19 PM MST

Thanks, righty1. No worries, though. I enjoyed listening to the song.
      January 27, 2018 12:11 PM MST

Lovely voice and I can see why you find it comforting. Intelligent lyrics speak to us in a way that when combined with music make it something magical. 
      January 24, 2018 3:12 PM MST

I agree, thanks!
      January 24, 2018 8:56 PM MST

• A specific fear self-reinforces. If I am afraid of jumping, I avoid it. By avoiding, I never learn how to jump. By not learning, I remain afraid.

Generalised fear is a habit. Somewhere in the back of the mind is the idea that if only I can worry enough, I can prevent the things I fear from happening. If the worry is not purposefully directed towards analysing the likelihood of something and finding the solutions that reduce risk, then all it does is continually self-reinforce the habit.

Whether specific or generalised, anxiety can be reduced with cognitive-behavioural training techniques, starting with brief exposures to small scary situations, and as skill and comfort levels develop, gradually increasing the duration and scariness until the unrealistic fear is gone, or competence and confidence are achieved. 

Some fears are vital friends. For example, back when I was on an antidepressant (SSRI) for more than two years, I lost all fear. It crept up on me so gradually that I was unaware of the problem or the cause. I did things like trying to walk through a causeway during a flood, trying to ride an unbroken filly bareback without a bridle, driving on the wrong side of the road around blind corners, and spending money I couldn't afford to spend until I'd put myself into poverty. After I'd weaned myself off the SSRI, sensible caution returned.
      January 24, 2018 3:50 PM MST

Since being diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, I've read before in different places what you've shared here. Thanks for the reminder.

But, obviously, I hadn't read before about your personal experiences.
      January 24, 2018 8:55 PM MST

Fear is logical.  This is a dangerous world.
      January 24, 2018 6:33 PM MST

You make a good point.
      January 24, 2018 8:56 PM MST