Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Family » Have you ever apologised to your adult (perhaps married) children for spanking them during their growing up years? How did they react?

Have you ever apologised to your adult (perhaps married) children for spanking them during their growing up years? How did they react?

Posted - January 24, 2018

Responses

I didn't spank simply because I didn't need to. Parents needn't apologize for teaching their children.  That's what discipline is...teaching.   I support the right of parents to incorporate corporal punishment into their system of discipline though.  My mother spanked me more than I think is OK.  It didn't cause me to grow up as a spanking or a non-spanking parent. 
      January 24, 2018 6:27 PM MST

No...I popped them each once on the bottom when they did something that would harm them. They were too young to remember.
      January 24, 2018 6:37 PM MST

My dad hit me.  I never hit anyone.

He did not apologize, but I don't feel raw about it either.  He seriously thought he was doing the right thing. It was what parents did when he was growing up in his neck of the woods.

He was a good father otherwise.

I never hit anyone.  I knew better. 
      January 24, 2018 8:19 PM MST

Nope.  Both of my children are adults, neither of them are married, and I delivered that apology when they were still very young.  It accompanied an explanation that based on how I grew up, I knew the difference between respect and fear.  Growing up, I learned more fear than I learned respect due to the way I was raised, and I didn't want my children to be left with the same impressions.  It's true I respected my mother and stepfather,  but I also feared them.  The balance was not 50/50, either.

~

January 24, 2018 9:37 PM MST

No, they usually deserved every spanking they got. 
      January 24, 2018 10:33 PM MST

My father and mother have never apologized to me for such things. I mean wtf do I do now other than move on?
      January 24, 2018 10:45 PM MST

Nope, I thanked mine for it.
      January 25, 2018 3:36 AM MST

Some really interesting responses to this one... this is AM at it's best, people reply thoughtfully and with insight on all variety of subjects. There are some excellent responses on why we shouldn't spank. (I defend people's right to slap if it's non sexual, non perverted and not based on intimidating or fostering fear) personally it doesn't seem right to me to do it regularly or as a general form or reprimand/punishment - I think it just creates fear and resentment and as others said.. you shouldn't need to spank if you teach the child right from wrong.

I was beaten, kicked etc as a child.. I know it's all too easy to lose control if you use violence as a means of controlling kids 
      January 25, 2018 4:04 PM MST

(AM at it's its best)

No apostrophe. 
      January 25, 2018 9:51 PM MST

LOL  ok you got me this time... you know I know that - it's just my fingers typing so fast used the most common form of it's :P 
      January 28, 2018 3:37 AM MST

No. I didn't (and don't) spank my children. I grew up in a household similar to others here and I felt it wasn't right. Now, we have research that shows it's damaging to children, causes behavioral issues, and doesn't solve problems, but particularly when my oldest was little, I simply parented on personal instinct and preference. 
      January 27, 2018 9:12 PM MST