Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Have you ever felt yourself in a situation where belief in God would be helpful -if He existed?

Have you ever felt yourself in a situation where belief in God would be helpful -if He existed?

Posted - January 26, 2018

Responses

Q "Have you ever felt yourself in a situation where belief in God would be helpful -if He existed?"

1. I'm not sure of the need for the "if He existed" bit. How would you know, anyway? The question is like asking whether or not a situation has arisen in which a shoulder to cry on would have been helpful? The actual existence or otherwise of such a shoulder is immaterial, I think, unless I'm missing something.

2. I expect the question is asking whether or not you've ever felt the need to believe in God. I think that depends on the type of person one is talking to. Our attitude to belief in God sits on a wide spectrum ranging from one extreme to the opposite, with true atheists, popularly but maybe wrongly referred to as agnostics, sitting in the middle with an uncertain foot in each camp.

3. The question is obviously not directed at anyone sitting on the belief half of the spectrum as they already believe in God and must be finding their belief helpful. It is certainly not directed at the potentially dangerous extremist in this camp who claim that God is so helpful to them He tells them what to do next [like bombing a cradle of civilisation back to the stone ages]

4. Life has a habit of putting people in testing situations. It could be loss of a pet, a loved one, acute illness or a near death situation. Some of those on the nonbelieving half of the spectrum may have found that belief in God would have been helpful in such situations, others caught up in such situations find the vocabulary of those who believe useful. To the extremists in the non-believing half of the spectrum God is inadmissible under ANY circumstances or situation. To such extremists all those who talk about God when they have no evidence for God are delusional.

5. Paradoxically these extremists would probably be among the foremost of those convinced that there is intelligent life in outer space, and supporters of all the millions in time and resources being poured into trying to make contact with such life. They hold such high levels of conviction about there being intelligent extra-terrestrial life out there despite the fact that there isn’t the faintest shadow of any evidence for such life. Their conviction is driven by the rational argument that the idea that humans are the most intelligent beings in this vast universe is totally preposterous.

6. Well, the rationale surrounding the question 'is there God out there?' runs along lines parallel to the one just outlined for intelligent life out there. A major difference being that there is more inferential/circumstantial evidence for God than there is for extra-terrestrial life out there. Moreover, whereas no rational person talks of extra-terrestrials as if they were a reality one will find the use of, or need for, God more openly expressed in popular scientific writings and explanations. In freely used phrases like "nature has a preference for ...." and "this is how nature does things" the personified "nature" is nothing more than an euphemism for God.

7. However, there is one thing in common between extreme believers in the extra-terrestrial and some extreme believers in God. Neither of them has obviously been told "No! That's NOT me!" That's why they get away with portraying et as

and God as

Edit 1 - answer expanded to give it a clearer link to the question

This post was edited by CLURT at February 2, 2018 8:05 PM MST
      January 31, 2018 5:14 PM MST

god helps me out and he does exist
      February 14, 2018 7:59 PM MST