Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What happened to due process as far as sexual harassment accusations?

What happened to due process as far as sexual harassment accusations?

Posted - January 27, 2018

Responses

Politicians and celebrities are often tried and convicted in the "court of public opinion".  Unfortunately, sexual harassment, improprieties, and rape are difficult to prove or disprove because it most often comes down to a she said/he said situation.  Particularly with prominent individuals, people tend to believe according to their bias. 
      January 27, 2018 10:34 AM MST

Bias helped along by past settlements done by the accused.
      January 27, 2018 12:24 PM MST

Settling suits is not always an indicator of guilt and not all those accused have made settlements. 
      January 27, 2018 12:45 PM MST

Goes along ways towards bias.
      January 27, 2018 1:09 PM MST

For some, yes.  For others it might just be dislike of someone, their politics, sexual orientation, or countless other things that people find to dislike about others, particularly those they do not personally know. 
      January 27, 2018 1:31 PM MST

Particular with people of means.  It is cheaper and confidentiality can be a part of it and the big thing is that it goes away immediately.  
      January 27, 2018 11:35 PM MST

Yup. 
      January 28, 2018 12:05 AM MST

The justice system now assumes everything is ok as long as they have a process and they do it.
      January 27, 2018 10:46 AM MST

Out the window when it comes to Bill Cosby. No sympathy though. One of the stones he threw ricocheted back and hit him on the head. He likely now wishes his only crime was sagging his pants. This post was edited by O-uknow at January 27, 2018 12:26 PM MST
      January 27, 2018 12:21 PM MST

That's not a term I know... I do think that several events lately have caused victims to be very wary and to think twice about reporting rape.  Conviction rates are woefully low - mainly because it can be difficult to prove.. 

Like everyone I would never want to see people falsely convicted - that's wrong, but we really must remember that many, many rapes don't ever get reported.. Most of us know a woman who has been assaulted, raped or taken advantage of and never reported it.

In terms of harassment.. it can cause an awful lot of damage and psychological suffering... but it is also true to say that there are categories ranging from less to much more serious  This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at January 29, 2018 11:14 AM MST
      January 27, 2018 12:59 PM MST

Agreed. A lot of such allegations are baseless - I've been accused of it myself. Dazzled by an LED bulb coming on unexpectedly at close range, shaking my head and blinking rapidly to try and clear the green and pink spots - and the customer accused me of staring at her breasts. If her boobs were behind the green and pink spots, I honestly didn't know. Guilty and couldn't be proven innocent.
      January 27, 2018 4:04 PM MST

There is no right to due process in accusation. Anyone can accuse you of something.   There is due process prior to a conviction.  
      January 27, 2018 11:34 PM MST

I totally agree. ANY woman can accuse ANY man of anything and people will believe it. You are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.
    The media makes it sound like ALL men are guilty of this.
    What about MALES that are sexually harassed by females? You don't hear about that and the media doesn't say it either.
      January 29, 2018 11:13 AM MST

If one has a "cause of action" (a probative reason to file suit) it is only then that what we refer to as "due process" kicks in....

Beyond that, given our knowledge of the person accused, one can reasonably infer as to the probability that the accused is actually guilty of what he (or she) has been accused of....

This is Trump's 3rd marriage. His divorces and infidelities involved a lot of press coverage that most would prefer be kept private.  His position was that any publicity was good publicity and he married one of his mistresses...

Do you really think that Trump restricts his sexual encounters to his wife?---he hardly demonstrates the mindset of exclusivity in marriage. This post was edited by tom jackson at January 29, 2018 11:34 AM MST
      January 29, 2018 11:27 AM MST

not sure
      February 14, 2018 7:29 PM MST