Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are Mormons Trump supporters?

Are Mormons Trump supporters?

A Mormon who said his “heart sank” when he heard that the church’s beloved Tabernacle Choir will perform at Donald Trump’s inauguration has launched a petition to urge the group not to go to Washington, D.C.

“I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The thought of this choir and Mormonism being forever associated with a man who disparages minorities, brags about his sexual control of women, encourages intolerance and traffics in hate speech and bullying, was unacceptable,” Randall Thacker said in a statement. “I immediately knew there were probably thousands of people who felt the same way, so I created the space on Change.org for like-minded Mormons and their friends to share their feelings.”

About 215 of the choir’s 360 members are expected to perform at the inauguration, church officials have told The Salt Lake City Tribune.

By Thursday evening, nearly 19,000 people had signed the petition, which is seeking 25,000 signatures. The petition urges the Mormon Tabernacle Choir not to perform for an “incoming president who has demonstrated sexist, racist, misogynistic, and xenophobic behavior that does not align with the principles and teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”    

Most of the signatures are from LDS members around the world, according to Thacker, a lifelong member of the church.

The petition also encourages people to call and write the church to give their reasons for signing. Several mention that Trump’s values are incompatible with Mormonism or that the church should never become associated with politics. One quips: Conservative rocker “Ted Nugent and the choir? I don’t think so!” Another writes: “Horrible values. Separation of church and state. Pay your taxes.”

Gina Colvin, an LDS scholar and Maori writer in New Zealand, told the Tribune that the choir’s planned participation in the inauguration “speaks to me of how little moral care the church has for the international cultural and political diversity of our church.”

Thacker and other supporters plan to personally deliver the petition to the choir and church officials in the coming week, reports the Utah Standard-Examiner.

There was no immediate comment from Trump.

The president-elect’s team has struggled to find performers for his inauguration. The Rockettes will appear, though performers are upset, according to one dancer. “This is not a Republican or Democrat issue ... this is an issue of racism and sexism, something that’s much bigger than politics,” she said in an interview.

Posted - January 29, 2018

Responses

According to a Mormon website I ran across, there are about 6,592,195 Mormons in America. If they are all Trump supporters and they voted, they helped to elect Trump. If they are all anti-Trump and didn't vote, it didn't have much of an effect on Trump being elected. So I guess in the bigger picture, it doesn't matter either way.
      February 4, 2018 12:32 AM MST

You are assuming something I am not asking nor care about at all.

They are all lily-white and seem to love being Republican.  I think they are dangerously similar to Evangelicals.  But they have some redeeming qualities like the fact that they are not batsh*t crazy as a rule when you have a conversation with them. 

But if they had the decency to be horrified that the Moron Tabernancle Choir sang for Trump, then I can't dismiss them out of hand.  There is hope for them.

This is not about how Trump got in office. It is about who likes that piece of crap.  If you like him, I know how to treat you.  Like you are demented.  That's all. 
      February 4, 2018 11:21 PM MST

Fair enough. You go get em.
      February 5, 2018 8:31 PM MST

I would guess that they are split on the matter. History has shown that Mormonism, like most other religions, has fought for their Country, belief, political agenda or whatever even at the expense of killing members of their own religion who fought for the opposing view. Wouldn't expect that they would be unified for or against Trump only that they are likely very much in to the worlds political ideologies. This post was edited by texasescimo at February 4, 2018 1:47 PM MST
      February 4, 2018 1:46 PM MST

I think you are right. 

I see a sea of lilly white faces and I get a bit disconcerted.  It's odd that most Mormons are lilly white.  Scares me.  And I know a lot of them.  They are all the nicest people.  I have not met one that is not really nice to be around.  So, it's not that.  It is just that they seem to turn a blind eye to the fact that there are not a lot of black people in the congregation, they love Utah and they want to conquer other "godless" peoples and make them Mormon.

They want to tell indigent countries like Bolivia, the Mormon idea of Jesus.  I want to be yelling at them.  But they are so sincere, and they do really try and walk the walk so I think they should be allowed to talk the talk.  What can I say?   First of all, if they want to go to South America, they are not going to be successful AND remain lilly white, since those folk are very brown.  They do no harm.  They are doing a lot of good.  Except for that insane faction under Warren Jeffs in Colorado Springs, but they are no more Mormon than terrorists who claim to be Muslim actually are.

Except I don't like Mitt Romney and I never will ever vote Republican.  
    Thanks for listening.....

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 5, 2018 8:07 AM MST
      February 4, 2018 11:25 PM MST

A Mormon couple used to work for my wife.
    I've never met a black Mormon but they apparently do allow them now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_and_Mormon_priesthood
    From 1849 to 1978, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) had a policy which prohibited black men from being ordained to the priesthood, black men and women from taking part in ceremonies in LDS temples and black men and women from serving in certain church callings. During this time, church leaders gave several different race-based explanations for the ban. In 1978, the church's First Presidency declared in a statement known as "Official Declaration 2" that the ban had been lifted as a result of a revelation from God. In December 2013, the LDS Church published an essay approved by the First Presidency that disavowed most race-based explanations for the past priesthood restriction and denounced racism.
      February 5, 2018 8:09 AM MST

it probably depends on the person since everyone is different
      February 14, 2018 5:47 PM MST