Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is it legal to run a "girls-only" mechanic shop? How about ethical?

Is it legal to run a "girls-only" mechanic shop? How about ethical?

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/09/576747854/girls-auto-clinic-owner-i-couldnt-find-a-female-mechanic-so-i-had-to-learn 

Posted - February 1, 2018

Responses

When my Ford rust-bucket fried its electrics, I took it to that girls-only car maintenance outfit - they fixed it with minimal fuss and at reasonable cost. When a wheel developed a wobble - same thing. But then the engine sprang a secret oil leak and eventually a big end went - and the engine developed a knock so bad I couldn't stand it - in it went yet again.
    When I explained my problem, that my big end needed attention and they had to fix it cos I couldn't stand it any more, they gathered round in a menacing manner saying what kind of girls did I think they were and I needed was to drag my sorry butt to the knocking shop next door. I guess I didn't explain it well enough. Gosh, I won't be going back there again!

February 1, 2018 12:31 PM MST

It's pretty common here to have female mechanics...there's not one in every shop but there are a fair few and more coming along all the time. I think for that reason we don't tend to have female only mechanic outfits, or very uncommonly.

We did used to have a girls only landscaping/gardening business locally.. last time I saw them there was a man driving - so I assumed they decided to include men in the business... not seen them recently - I suspect they just changed the business to make it more gender neutral  
      February 1, 2018 12:40 PM MST

That depends on WHY it is "girls-only".
    In the US, it would be illegal (under anti-discrimination laws) for a shop to only hire female mechanics as a policy.
      February 1, 2018 1:18 PM MST

Why not. There are shops that sell nothing but womens clothing.
      February 2, 2018 3:37 AM MST

https://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/job_discrimination/employer_distinguish.htm
      February 2, 2018 9:18 AM MST

Quote: " For example, only men may qualify for male roles in a movie, and only men or boys of a certain age for the role of a teenager. "

Really bad examples, since men historically played female roles during Shakespeare's time.
    So a lawyer could easily argue that either gender could play a role, regardless of what that character's gender was.
    Also bad for the age example, as it is common for actors to portray characters younger than their actual age.

Just sayin ...

February 2, 2018 10:04 AM MST

We have enough cases that have been upheld for cases like those examples.  We aren't going to force movie makers to dress up women to portray NFL players or young men to play old men.  The  movie makers may certainly do that but will not be forced.....that would be silly at the very least.
      February 3, 2018 3:01 AM MST

Did any of those cases involve a woman who was better suited for the role than the man?
    I highly doubt it.
    But go ahead and cite cases where a woman sued after being denied a role that went to a man.

February 3, 2018 12:00 PM MST

• just be like the 3 Stooges car repair. I f they can't fix it, you don't pay and as of then nobody had paid.
      February 5, 2018 6:07 PM MST

Girls only what?  Mechanics?   Or customers?  

I think it is totally legal.  But I don't know about the ousting of male customers.  The only reason a man would want to get his engine tuned by a woman is if there was a sign on the door saying women only.

Or if they just want to flirt.  I don't know if women would be up for a date with grease all over them.

February 5, 2018 6:09 PM MST

Lots of Boarding school are 'segregated' that way. and so is monastries and nunneries
      February 6, 2018 7:22 AM MST

not sure, never heard of one
      February 11, 2018 4:45 PM MST