Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Yet another school shooting in America I've just heard on tv here in England . When will enough be enough and weapons banned and handed in ?

Yet another school shooting in America I've just heard on tv here in England . When will enough be enough and weapons banned and handed in ?

Posted - February 15, 2018

Responses

Woah... you may kind of be onto something. As far back as I can remember, I don't know of any school shootings that happened here in Arizona, arguably the heart of the old west. *knock on wood* We're also a conceal carry state- anyone can hide a gun on their body. We also don't have shootouts like what's being seen in the news, tough we do statistically  trend higher than the national average for gun deaths... not by much though.

I started looking- all the shootings this year (aside from one) are on the eastern side of the country: https://www.abc15.com/news/data/mass-shootings-in-the-us-when-where-they-have-occurred-in-2018 

This post was edited by Just Asking at February 15, 2018 12:52 PM MST
      February 15, 2018 12:36 PM MST

I bet if someone were to go into a school to shoot it up, would think twice if they knew everyone  in there had a gun and could shoot back.
      February 15, 2018 12:54 PM MST

If this sign were in front of every school, they would certainly think twice.
      February 15, 2018 1:54 PM MST

I highly doubt it. First, these people aren't of the mindset to consider that. Secondly, I don't think that any of the cute little handguns that have become so fashionable are going to help much when faced with an assault rifle that can fire hundreds of bullets per minute. 
      February 15, 2018 3:27 PM MST

An semiautomatic rifle is not capable of firing hundreds of rounds per minute. An AR-15 is capable of max of 45 per minute. 
    These people plan it out. They purposely go to soft targets. The "gun free zones". This post was edited by my2cents at February 19, 2018 1:30 AM MST
      February 16, 2018 5:07 AM MST

How many rounds per minute does an AK 47 fire?

At full cyclic rate, they can fire about 600 rounds per minute (up to 640 rounds per minute for the AKM), with a practical rate of about 100 rounds per minute fully automatic or 40 rounds per minute semiautomatic. Both the AK and AKM can mount a grenade launcher.
      February 16, 2018 6:53 PM MST

Yes, the legal semiautomatic fires at 40/min.... This post was edited by my2cents at February 19, 2018 4:30 AM MST
      February 17, 2018 10:00 AM MST

Would you look at that. An answer by someone that knows what they're talking about. What a breath of fresh air. :)
      February 19, 2018 1:58 AM MST

Lol.....
      February 15, 2018 3:52 PM MST

The only shootouts anybody remembers were where government employees provoked a confrontation with rival civilians.
    Occupy ***
    Oakland
    Waco
    Ruby Ridge
    Kent State
    And in Arizona we have Tombstone. I bet you never bothered to look up that story, did you?

If people were actually concerned about ending mass murders, they would abolish all government above the level of city mayor.
      February 16, 2018 5:03 PM MST

I saw a long documentary about Waco ....Didn't the police burn the place down with women and children still inside the building ? 
    If I remember it was all just so horrific to watch.....

What did the others you mention involve ? 
      February 16, 2018 5:47 PM MST

The fires were set on the inside by the Branch Davidians. 
      February 16, 2018 6:47 PM MST

What are they ,I've no idea what a Davidian is....?
      February 17, 2018 2:49 AM MST

I recommend you google the complete stories, rather than listen to misremembered versions.
      February 17, 2018 1:40 PM MST

Hey, hey back off dude. That was my attempt at sarcasm.
    And don't assume what I know or don't know. For your information I do know the story of Tombstone.
    Have a nice day.
      February 17, 2018 1:46 PM MST

Mass shootings are a complicated problem that requires a multifaceted solution.

Mental health and suicide is part of it.

Ease of access to semi automatic firearms and high capacity magazines capable of killing large groups of people as quickly as possible is part of the problem.

Media coverage and the attention given to these shooters is part of the problem.

Groups like the NRA controlling the Republican Congress with money is part of the problem.

People who carry around guns like cowards and use them because they feel like they are nothing without that gun are part if the problem.

All of these things need to be addressed if America wants to ever improve this situation in my opinion.

Think about that the next time you vote.

February 15, 2018 1:20 PM MST

I live in England, no guns allowed over here... how many have to die in America before things have to change...?
      February 15, 2018 3:48 PM MST

People spouting cliches and pretending to know something when they don't ... They are the problem. 
      February 17, 2018 1:45 PM MST

"He (Jehovah God) will render judgement among the nations and set matters straight respecting many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, Nor will they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4) this prophecy will soon come to pass along with many others that predict the destruction of the ungodly as was the case in noah's time. (Matthew 24:36-39)
      February 15, 2018 9:32 PM MST

• They never cease to shock and terrify me. 

Apparently, North Americans have the opposite response of Brits and Aussies to gun murders and mass shootings.
    A politically influential proportion of Americans believe that more guns as a defense is the answer.
    Every time one of these horrendous massacres occurs, gun ownership laws are further relaxed in several states,
    and the number of gun owners, and guns owned by one owner increases.

From the (Australian) ABC News website:
    • There are almost as many guns (300 million) in the USA as people (population: 323 million). This is twice as many guns per capita as 50 years ago.
    • Americans represent 4.5% of the world's population yet own 48% of the world's privately held guns.
    • Not all Americans are gun-lovers. Fifty percent of all guns are in the hands of just 3 per cent of the population.
    • The average gun-owning household has 8 guns.

February 15, 2018 9:54 PM MST

How appalling is that......how easy would it be to break into any home and steal an arsenal of weapons....

No wonder so many kids end up getting shot out there.... This post was edited by Nice Jugs at February 16, 2018 2:48 PM MST
      February 16, 2018 4:56 AM MST

You folks are all pretending to know something when you don't. That is a disgrace. Stop it.

The fact is you are more likely to die by arson than to be shot, and you are more likely to be shot by a government employee than by a citizen.

And you over there in England: What are you going to do when your police decide to gun you down? Or perhaps a more socially acceptable scenario, when your country is invaded by soldiers who want to gun you down? Governments all have lousy records regarding actually protecting their citizens.
      February 16, 2018 3:47 AM MST

The police in England have shot dead a verity of innocent people since I was born....John Stonehouse was a three or four year old sleeping under his duvet whe a police officer in full body amour raided his parents home and shot the baby while he slept....

Harry Stanley was 65 old walking home from his local pub after just recovering from Cancer and he was confronted by many armed police officers ....one shot him in the head and another shot him in his hand.....

No police were ever prosecuted for manslaughter as the whole London police force threaten the government with going on strike.....
    No compensation was ever paid out to the family of the executed man....

There was a case where the police staked out a bank in north London after hearing it was about to get robbed by an armed gang....the raid actually happened and the police ended up shooting each other....

Gun kill no matter who is holding or pointing them at people.....
    Guns asLo kill when left loaded and accidentally fall or get knocked over....

Far better to live with out such things.... 
      February 16, 2018 4:49 AM MST

You tell stories of people killing people, and only the police had guns in each case, then you claim that the guns are responsible. I can not answer that politely.
      February 17, 2018 1:49 PM MST

Mostly it takes a combination of both humans and man made weapons to kill .....
    Guns only kill through carelessness or from acidentual use....both police and the public think about their actions before pulling the trigger 

In England before I was born ....there were no armed police roaming the street... Armed units were only called out on very rare occasions 

My point was really ......anyone armed with a gun can make mistakes ,no matter how well trained......

February 17, 2018 4:48 PM MST