Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What are some of your favorite independent (non-mainstream) movies? ~

What are some of your favorite independent (non-mainstream) movies? ~

Posted - February 15, 2018

Responses

I don't know if any of my titles are actually independent films or not. They seem like they would be - - sort of out there.

"Let the Right One In"
    "Mysterious Skin"
    "Threads"   (I think this one was made for TV by the BBC)
      February 15, 2018 11:50 AM MST

• Babette's Feast, 1987, Danish film, directed by Gabriel Axel. 
    A Cordon Blue cook sacrifices her entire life's savings to cook a single meal for a Danish community.
    At the feast, the Puritans drink wine for the first time and, because of it, old grudges are revealed and forgiven.

My Dinner with Andre, 1981, American comedic drama film, directed by Louis Malle. 
    Two actors, after a long time apart, share dinner and a conversation at the Café des Artistes in Manhattan.
    They discuss the nature of life and theatre with reference to the experiences of one in working with the experimental Polish theatre director, Jerzy Grotowski. Wally's approach is humanist, while Andre's is spiritual.

Jean de Florette, 1986, and its sequel Manon des Sources, French, a tragedy, directed by Claude Berri.
    One of the best exemplars of karma, or the principle of cause and effect - how it can be hidden and then revealed by evidence.

I've seen and loved many others over the years, but those three left ripples in my mind.

What are your top-three non-mainstream films, Randy? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 2, 2019 7:48 PM MDT
      February 15, 2018 9:35 PM MST

Purple Hearts

Reservoir Dogs

The Usual Suspects 

~
      February 15, 2018 10:06 PM MST

• If my local library has them, I'll borrow them.
    Or possibly a friend might know how to buy copies from archives.
    Thanks.
    ~ ~ ~
      February 15, 2018 10:47 PM MST

• Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Donnie Darko and Breakfast Club rank among my favourites.
      February 16, 2018 8:14 PM MST

Night of the Living Dead(1968)
    Slacker(1991)
    Eraserhead(1977)
    Stranger Than Paradise(1984)
    Evil Dead(1981)
    Grosse Point Blank(1997)
    The Texas Chain Saw Massacre(1974)
    Cube(1997)
    Let the Right One In(2008)
      March 12, 2018 8:18 PM MDT

Funny - - I totally ignored my favorite movie of all-time of those I've seen --  1968 "Night of the Living Dead." An image from it is even my avatar. I'm happy you reminded me.
    :)
      March 13, 2018 7:27 AM MDT