Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Would you go on a 10-day Wilderness Survival Contest with nothing more than a change of clothing, a dull knife and an open tin of moldy

Would you go on a 10-day Wilderness Survival Contest with nothing more than a change of clothing, a dull knife and an open tin of moldy

processed cheese food?  Ok, how about 9 days?
~

Posted - February 17, 2018

Responses

I was deployed in the Central American jungle for months in the 1980’s; in the Middle Eastern Desert in ‘83 and in ‘91. Slept on the ground, foraged for food, endured bugs, mud, sand, weather, dysentery and live fire.

No thanks, I’ve done enough of that. 

PS- I wouldn’t leave home with a dull knife. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 18, 2018 5:08 PM MST
      February 17, 2018 10:08 AM MST

The challenge is being out there without all the things necessary to get by and overcoming those obstacles, so the idea a dull knife is that you'd either have to use it like it is or try to find ways to sharpen it. Leave it at home and make the challenge one iota more difficult if you like.
    ~
      February 17, 2018 11:22 AM MST

Granted. That said, yeah, been there. But knives can be honed to a usable edge with enough effort and the right rock.

I’ll cheer for the next guy who goes out.

Keep your feet dry, mate. This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 17, 2018 12:14 PM MST
      February 17, 2018 12:05 PM MST

I might just try it to see if I could find edible vegitation and a clean water source. I would try to make a fire and a shelter and sleep outside.
    Realistically I would probably only do it for 2 or 3 days then I would want to be evacuated to the nearest McDonalds.
    10 days would be kind of like pretending to be homeless. Not my thing. This post was edited by Summer at February 18, 2018 5:08 PM MST
      February 17, 2018 11:02 AM MST

I would not.  No chance of it.  I don't even want to go "camping" without a motor home complete with kitchen, full bathroom w/shower, and queen size bed.  
      February 17, 2018 11:20 AM MST

How about 90 seconds? Even that would be too long for me.
      February 17, 2018 5:14 PM MST

It sounds like fun except the processed cheese food part because that reminds me of the free breakfast I had at a hotel last weekend.  Umm yeah, I'll never forget the processed cheese food omelettes they had and that's not a good thing! 
      February 17, 2018 11:31 PM MST

Not b++++y likely! I have been on several genuine wild camping trips, up to about a week in the hills, but we did it properly, not wilfully roughing it like a "survival contest", nor surrounding ourselves with clutter.

As for evacuation to the nearest MacD's as Chloe suggests... I think the blunt knife and mouldy cheese marginally less awful!

February 18, 2018 6:20 PM MST