Discussion » Questions » History » Which bona fide hero or heroine from any time period throughout history do you NOT admire? Why? ~

Which bona fide hero or heroine from any time period throughout history do you NOT admire? Why? ~

Posted - February 18, 2018

Responses

That's a fascinating question to me. But I have no answer.
    I'm still thinking, though.
      January 17, 2020 8:51 PM MST

Did I really post this question?  Wow, I don't even remember doing it. 
    ~
      January 17, 2020 9:46 PM MST

I came across it yesterday - - I like to travel around categories sometimes.
    Great question.
    :)
      January 18, 2020 7:20 AM MST

I will nominate Winston Churchill. While he was undoubtedly an excellent wordsmith and orator, and he was a reasonably skilled diplomat, I think his reputation is a bit overblown.

Churchill has become something of a deity for the TradCon right, who ignore his enormous military failures (the Gallipoli campaign in WWI was a disaster, and Churchill's insistence upon attacking Italy in WWII wasted resources best used elsewhere), as well as Churchill's unwavering defense of the British Empire and its right to dominate/subjugate the "lesser races."

It is a curious thing that Churchill has a better reputation in America than he does in Great Britain (whose people, we shouldn't forget, dumped Churchill almost as soon as WWII was over). 
      January 17, 2020 11:10 PM MST