Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » In movies and on TV, why is it that when bad guys or victims fall from a building, 75% of the time they hit the top of a car?

In movies and on TV, why is it that when bad guys or victims fall from a building, 75% of the time they hit the top of a car?

When good guys fall, they always seem to land in a dumpster full of soft stuff.

Posted - February 19, 2018

Responses

Bad guys also die instantly without any final words, while "our hero" gets to yammer incessantly with some plot-relevant speech. 

~
      February 19, 2018 9:45 AM MST

true.... falling from tall buildings tho is very dangerous.... that would be a slim chance of surviving,
      February 19, 2018 11:04 AM MST

I have seen movies where the bad guys fall because they were thrown through a window or some unexpected event occurred.
    Usually the hero of the movie is making an escape and uses quick thinking and bravery to jump in the hopes of landing in a dumpster or swimming pool.
    If the hero landed on a car the movie would be over too quickly.
    The only movie that I remember where the hero dies over and over again is "Edge of tomorrow." He keeps living the same day over.
      February 20, 2018 10:11 AM MST

Maybe the serenely sad image of Evelyn McHale's suicide in 1947 from a jump off the Empire State Building in New York City, New York, USA inspired moviemakers.

February 23, 2018 6:53 PM MST

Wow.
      ~

February 23, 2018 9:12 PM MST

I agree, Randy D. As a youngster, I remember being transfixed and saddened by the picture --  it happened to be in some photograph retrospective or something. Maybe Life or Look magazine. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 24, 2018 8:17 AM MST
      February 24, 2018 8:10 AM MST

• "Because the bad guys don't get to be in the sequel."
      March 13, 2018 9:53 PM MDT

Oh come on.  Look at the impactful mess it makes.   You cannot crush a sidewalk, you just splat.

But you can splat and crush when you have  a car to fall on.  

What an unforgettable scene. 

And that soft stuff people fall in in the movies is not all that soft in real life.   So, Trump voters, don't try this at home.  Or now that I think about it, please give it a shot.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 13, 2018 9:57 PM MDT
      March 13, 2018 9:56 PM MDT