Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » When a service enables you to tip in advance (like with a food delivery), does paying the tip in advance result in better service or worse?

When a service enables you to tip in advance (like with a food delivery), does paying the tip in advance result in better service or worse?

Posted - February 24, 2018

Responses

Tipping has nothing to do with service. Tipping was invented in the "roaring twenties" as a way of displaying a rich person's superiority over servants. Prior to that time servants were proud to give good service for a fair wage, and rich people were not so inclined to make clever insults.

This all came about as a direct result of the Federal Reserve Act passed in 1913, and the inflation that it produced. Harry Truman said "What the country needs is a good five cent cigar." The price of cigars had doubled to ten cents.
      February 24, 2018 3:32 PM MST

Ok... But modern-day tipping is done to reward good service, yes? So, with that in mind, do you have an answer to the question?
      February 24, 2018 4:42 PM MST

Tipping has everything to do with service---and it is an easy way to bank good will.

Back when Steak and Ale restaurants were a "hot" place to go, I happened to go in with a friend on a particularly busy Friday night.  The bartender happened to see me and I waved.  By the time my friend had gotten to the far end of the bar, our drinks were waiting for us. 

February 24, 2018 5:07 PM MST

I repeat: "Tipping has nothing to do with service. " It began as an arrogant show of wealth and has now become an unwelcome responsibility."
      February 24, 2018 10:30 PM MST

I didn't know that.
      February 24, 2018 10:38 PM MST

It totally depends. 

But I bet if you can only tip up front and you don't tip, that would color the service you get more than anything else you do.

February 24, 2018 3:37 PM MST

Worse
      February 24, 2018 5:38 PM MST