Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What is consciousness?

What is consciousness?

Posted in emotions for lack of a category for philosophy.

Posted - August 5, 2016

Responses

• you posting this question, and me answering it. simple as that.

August 5, 2016 4:54 PM MDT

Awareness of the difference between self and others.  Awareness of one's existence as a separate entity.

August 5, 2016 5:47 PM MDT

Very good!...Assuming neither of you are an AI. :-)

August 5, 2016 5:48 PM MDT

• well, i know i'm not... so, we're, at least, halfway there. ;-)

August 5, 2016 6:04 PM MDT

• spending a great deal of time alone, comfortably, is a good way to get there. =)

August 5, 2016 6:05 PM MDT

Being aware.  Beyond thoughts.  Beyond reason.  What is left?  That is consciousness.  And there IS something beyond thoughts.   That Presence?  That is consciousness.  

That thing that watches you while you drive?  That thing that is always there no matter if awake or asleep?  Again, that is consciousness. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      August 5, 2016 6:09 PM MDT

An example of consciousness is that it is like 'god' existing in nature. A species requires change to adapt to a changing environment in order to survive thus enabling evolution to occur.
      August 5, 2016 6:43 PM MDT

Going to the airport  during a heat wave and having girl stick her big butt in my face while trying to 

exit the van. Some people are just rude.  I knew I was conscious at that moment.

August 5, 2016 6:54 PM MDT

August 6, 2016 2:14 AM MDT

...Especially with blotter acid...or so I've heard. :-)

August 6, 2016 2:15 AM MDT

• What do you think of states like coma, sleep, dreaming, distraction, focus and awareness of perceptions. How do these relate to the idea of consciousness for you?

August 6, 2016 7:59 AM MDT

• Are you less conscious when in company or when uncomfortable?

August 6, 2016 8:00 AM MDT

Hello h:

It's looking at your naval and KNOWING what it is.

excon

August 6, 2016 8:02 AM MDT

•   August 6, 2016 8:02 AM MDT

• Am in complete agreement.

I enjoy your answer very much. :)

August 6, 2016 8:03 AM MDT

• LOL :D

August 6, 2016 8:05 AM MDT

• I sort of agree,

except I think consciousness is a crucial ingredient in how we know something, but the knowing also involves sensory perceptions, experience and memory - so I think knowing is more than consciousness ---

Except for the sensation of knowing that we are aware - which comes as a side effect of sensing something to start with.

I hope that wasn't too convoluted to make sense.

August 6, 2016 8:10 AM MDT

I quote from "Play of consciousness"
    By Swami Muktananda...
    "Consciousness is the intelligent, supremely independent, divine power that creates, pervades, and supports the entire universe."
      August 6, 2016 9:20 AM MDT

Hello h:

I appreciate your response.  However, I understood NONE of it.  You're either conscience, or not.  There ain't no in between.

excon

August 6, 2016 9:32 AM MDT

I read an obscure article one time which suggested hallucinogens were what propelled our apish ancestors into sentience.  Had it not been for magic mushrooms, we'd still be running along the savannas playing lunch meat for apex predators.

Ever see Altered States?  It's one of my all-time favs.

August 6, 2016 2:08 PM MDT

• Altered States was also one of my favs.

Would love to own a copy and watch it several more times.

That obscure article sounds fascinating and the idea plausible. There are numerous other hallucogens in the plant world and, based on anthropology, in prehistoric times there would have been ritual use.

I also think that there are several other factors that helped propel the evolution of self-awareness.

I think mammals have much higher self-awareness, intelligence and (limited) awareness of future than many humans commonly believe.

Evolution would favor complex awareness for a creature that must learn to adapt to change and must be social in order to survive.

Thanks for drawing my attention to, and reminding me of, an interesting aspect of consciousness.

August 6, 2016 4:30 PM MDT

• :)

August 7, 2016 1:10 AM MDT

No problem.  It was the Christian thing to do...and since I'm a Christian... :-)

August 7, 2016 2:03 AM MDT

•   August 7, 2016 2:52 AM MDT