Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Does having an add pop right into the middle of some text you're reading make you want to buy that product or service?

Does having an add pop right into the middle of some text you're reading make you want to buy that product or service?

Or, like me, does it make you vow never to buy that product or service?

Posted - March 11, 2018

Responses

I don't have popups or ads.  Check your settings, and ad blockers are easy to find.  Opera browser comes with an ad blocker built in.
      March 11, 2018 3:36 PM MDT

I'd share your vow.
    :)
      March 11, 2018 4:59 PM MDT

It's no worse than ads on TV. Both pay the bills.
      March 11, 2018 6:31 PM MDT

The idea is that if you see the product advertised enough times that it will stick into your mind & you will buy that product in the future.
      March 11, 2018 6:38 PM MDT

I liken that to telemarketers who make cold calls. I let them know quite simply that calling me will NOT result in a sale, so they are wasting their time. When they try the "but it's free" angle or the "it's a great deal" angle, I inform them that I don't buy anything from any company wherein I do not initiate the transaction, that if I want their product or service, I will contact them. I agree with your policy of not dealing with that company in the future.

~
      March 11, 2018 6:49 PM MDT

I never even notice what they are selling.  All I'm looking for is the X in the corner to get rid of it.
      March 11, 2018 6:52 PM MDT

That never happens to me
    I have ad blocker
    If it did happen
    I would get ad blocker...
      March 12, 2018 9:27 AM MDT

Ads don't bother me. What bothers me is a site that flaps cards in my face and they are not even trying to sell me anything. For instance, I click a link in an email and read a few words, and suddenly a popup pops up inviting me to sign up to get the email. That makes me want to reach through the screen and slap the programmer's face.

Facebook is such an annoyance with "notifications" that I stop posting comments for a while just so I don't have to tolerate notification popups while I am trying to read something.

Mentalfloss.com is the other major offender that way. First you get the video interrupting an unrelated article, then you get a popup with the same video and you have to find the "X" and click it, and then figure out where your article got lost to.
      March 12, 2018 2:16 PM MDT