Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Following orders. Do you always comply even if the orders aren't your cuppa tea? Ever refuse to follow them and been fired or quit?

Following orders. Do you always comply even if the orders aren't your cuppa tea? Ever refuse to follow them and been fired or quit?

Posted - March 14, 2018

Responses

I'm a rebel by nature. I have complete contempt for any authority over me that I DID NOT CHOOSE. If I chose it, that's a different thing.

If I have pledged to serve obediently I will do so, or resign my position. I don't refuse to do what I have pledged to do.

Government officials, for example, have pledged to serve the administration they are a part of. If they feel they can't in good conscience execute their duty, they should resign. Only oaths to constitutional law, justify rebellion. An official who remains within an administration they are not loyal to, is an enemy and deserves to be treated as such.  This post was edited by Zeitgeist at March 16, 2018 1:13 PM MDT
      March 14, 2018 7:01 AM MDT

Yes if that is my job like here at work.  They didn't hire me to hear my opinions, though sometimes they may ask for them, but do get done what they want me to do.  So even if I may question them I follow them and try to see it from their point of view.  And try to follow them as efficiently as I can. Which is why I have been a valuable employee here for so long. 
      March 14, 2018 7:11 AM MDT

So you would do something ILLEGAL or CRIMINAL then? Thank you for your reply.
      March 14, 2018 7:13 AM MDT

I have done many things I didn't agree with, that I would not do on my own. That occasionally would have violated my own code of ethics.  Doubt anything illegal or criminal.   But then I don't know all the laws.  Real life is not fairyland. 
      March 14, 2018 7:32 AM MDT

Different strokes og. You and I are wired completely differently. I would not and could not. It matters not. We each make choices of how to live our lives. We make our own beds and then we lie in them. Thank you for your reply.
      March 15, 2018 4:04 AM MDT

I've always been fortunate and blessed to have worked jobs (construction, maintenance, plumbing, and factory work) where having to comply with orders weren't a problem. I went to work, did what I was supposed to do, and went home. I have, a couple of times, questioned certain orders but after being set straight with proof that it was okay to do it, I was fine. Not every boss or higher up likes to be questioned but again, I have been fortunate and blessed enough to work for those who didn't mind being questioned. They had no ego's to bruise. So no, I never got fired. :)
      March 14, 2018 10:29 AM MDT

So you were never asked to do something on edge of criminal or illegal? That's good ru. Not everyone is as fortunate. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Thursday. The best bosses don't mind being questioned. It's the weak ones who get all irate that you would DARE to ask! At least that's how it has been in my experience! The best bosses welcome questions. The worst ones fear them. :)
      March 15, 2018 4:06 AM MDT

No.  I hardly ever comply unless the orders are agreed-upon beforehand and I know what I am getting into.  If I am being paid, I follow orders until it insults my integrity or I just don't agree.  Then I quit.

Good-bye.  Otherwise if you pay me, you should expect me to obey.

March 14, 2018 10:31 AM MDT

You've never been required to do something "shady" or possibly criminal/illegal? Good. Thank you for your reply Sharon! :)
      March 15, 2018 4:07 AM MDT

I would comply as long as it doesn't go against what I believe in.
      March 14, 2018 1:06 PM MDT

Same here LM.
      March 14, 2018 1:45 PM MDT

Ditto. Ask me/require me to do something shady or criminal or illegal and I'm outta there!  Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom! :)
      March 15, 2018 4:08 AM MDT

I live by my own moral code and no one else's Rosie........saying that ,I'm in a job I can't ever get the sack from.....:)
      March 14, 2018 3:00 PM MDT

Isn't that what we all SHOULD do D? Develop a moral code based on what makes sense to us and that honor it by sticking to it? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      March 15, 2018 4:09 AM MDT

i think so Rosie .....
      March 15, 2018 4:27 PM MDT

What I don't get are those so-called "religious" folks who set aside all things to support a prime example of a person who exemplifies the worst traits in human beings. There is great hypocrisy there and phony baloney too. They are lying to themselves if they support trash like doofus don and go to church and pray to God and read the bible and not see the blasphemy. Just my opinion. :)
      March 16, 2018 2:33 AM MDT