Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Can a person claim to be a feminist and still believe that women vote how they are told to by the men in their life?

Can a person claim to be a feminist and still believe that women vote how they are told to by the men in their life?

Posted - March 17, 2018

Responses

• It doesn't compute.
      March 17, 2018 5:13 PM MDT

I believe so, and I'll give an example. 

The feminist in question seems to be stating that he or she sees what us currently happening with some women, not that he or she agrees with it or thinks that's the way it should be. It's almost like someone being against the death penalty and stating that convicts are being executed because that law has not been taken off the books. The death penalty opponent is not contradicting himself or herself, merely by stating what the status quo is. 
    ~
      March 17, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

You explained that perfectly. 

Acknowledging that something exists and agreeing with it are two very different things. 
      March 18, 2018 9:51 AM MDT

I don't think that is quite apples to apples. Because that is talking about an action that is not in control of the person....the antideath penalty person is not deciding to execute the criminal because they were told do it. 
      March 18, 2018 11:00 AM MDT

That always bugged me how if you don't vote the way they want you to it must be because you're too dumb to think for yourself and only do what a man tells you to.
    Then on the flip side, if you vote for a candidate who happens to be female you get those clowns saying "you only voted for her because she's a woman!" This post was edited by Patchouli at March 18, 2018 10:22 AM MDT
      March 17, 2018 6:58 PM MDT

Good point. Being black, it irks me that other black people assume that I have to agree with their voting choices or else there's something wrong with me. 
    ~
      March 17, 2018 7:00 PM MDT

Those kind of people treat women and minorities like they're some kind of hive mind. It's creepy.
      March 17, 2018 7:05 PM MDT

"You're oppressed!  The government has to take care of you!  You'll never make it on your own, so let's throw billions of dollars at problems over several decades with no tangible results, but you stay in your inner-city slums and rural poverty zones while we "monitor" things from our ivory towers and gilded mansions."

March 17, 2018 7:15 PM MDT

I assume you expect a plate of buttermilk biscuits right about now ;)
      March 17, 2018 10:03 PM MDT

What is the connection between the first and second parts of your question? Between "a person" and "they"?
      March 17, 2018 8:04 PM MDT

The person (feminist...believes women are smart and can do anything) but believes women vote as told by men. 
      March 18, 2018 11:10 AM MDT

My husband, my dad, my grandpas, my uncles and my nephews and the boy I had a crush on in first grade all told me to vote for Donald Trump and then when I went to vote I stepped into the booth and Vladimir Putin was waiting inside of there for me.  He said "You vote for Donald Trump?  Yes?"

March 17, 2018 9:18 PM MDT

I assume you voted for the candidate in which you supported regardless of these men who told you who to vote for. 
      March 18, 2018 11:05 AM MDT

That was sarcasm but I'm sure you knew that already.  Some political claims like losing because husbands told their wives to vote for my opponent are just so stupid so they need a sarcastic reply.

Anyway, my husband and I discussed politics before the election.  We don't agree on everything politically but we're close enough and pretty much come from the same place so there's just no reason to tell the other person how to vote.

My vote had more to do with isidewith.com telling me how to vote than anything else.  I voted for the candidate that was my best match which was 54%.  My match with the candidate who's accusing me of being told what to do by my husband only had a 19% match with me.  Ironically, she scored better with my husband with a 23% match.

So yeah, maybe she needs to take it up with isidewith.com.
      March 18, 2018 12:24 PM MDT

I love isidewith.com. I got several family members to take the quiz this past election. My sons took it and one got Carson and the other got Cruz. Everyone else I know got Trump. I don't remember percentages. I use the site often for primaries decisions.
      March 18, 2018 12:37 PM MDT

Isidewith.com was very consistent during the primaries.  My husband and I both got Bernie Sanders for the Democrats and Donald Trump for the Republicans but by the time my state had it's primary Donald Trump was the only one left on the Republican side so my husband changed his party registration to vote for Bernie Sanders.  I was already registered as a Democrat because I already planned on voting for Bernie Sanders.  I think I was 56% matched with Bernie Sanders and 54% matched with Donald Trump and with my husband was something like 52% Trump and 51% Sanders.

I like Isidewith because it actually tells the whole story about where people are politically.  There's way more to it than just liberal vs conservative which Isidewith understands so that's how it's possible for both Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders to be the top two matches.
      March 18, 2018 1:05 PM MDT

That's THILLY.

March 17, 2018 10:05 PM MDT

Aye, indeed. The person in question may believe other women are this or that but she herself is an exception, assuming we think of a feminist as a woman operating independent of the wishes of men. This post was edited by O-uknow at March 19, 2018 11:08 PM MDT
      March 17, 2018 10:19 PM MDT

Guess that is the kind of "feminist" who thinks SHE should tell us all how to vote!  Don't know but I am in late middle age and I have never had a man tell me how I should vote.  But there are women who get up in public and pretend to speak for me telling me how.  As well as what is good for me.  Certainly ironic is it not?
      March 18, 2018 10:26 AM MDT

Can a person be so clueless to think they are a feminist and support a man like Donald Trump?  I'm talking about his DAUGHTER.   She thinks her father did not touch Stormy Daniels because he said he didn't.  Now we have proven through the arbitration that he DID.  What does she have to say now that he is going to tell her to say?

How's about his idiot, brain-dead spouse going on and on about cyber-bullying.  Does this bimbo even have a clue who she married?

I think he doesn't respect women because he has never met one that can think.

On WEB:
    Politicians and the public in Britain woke up to news that the US president had verbally attacked the leader of its closest ally – and many were not happy

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 19, 2018 11:07 PM MDT
      March 19, 2018 11:03 PM MDT