Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Corporal punishment as a legal deterrent. Should we bring back the cat o' nine?

Corporal punishment as a legal deterrent. Should we bring back the cat o' nine?

I've never been a fan of capital punishment, it's too final if a jury gets it wrong. However, life imprisonment for particularly heinous crimes seems too soft without additional punishment - a person wrongfully flogged can sue. Singapore has no graffiti, they attribute that to the fact that perps are caned on the buttocks if caught. I'm not advocating that for such a minor offense, but should convicted rapists and murderers be clobbered?

Posted - March 22, 2018

Responses

How do you determine if "too hard" or "too soft"? And particularly that is is "a deterrent"? Can you imagine anyone committing a crime if he have not first convinced himself that he wont get caught?
      March 22, 2018 9:54 PM MDT

No.  That is only to assuage the feelings of those of us who cannot get the thought of the deeds out of our heads.  It may make us feel like we are dispensing justice by being brutal, but all it does is make us brutal. 

There is nothing for a life lived in a cell.  That is torture enough.  No matter how anyone tells you how cushy some criminals have it, they are locked up and miserable. 

If they are not?  They are out of harm's way.  Let go and let God sort it out.

March 23, 2018 12:20 AM MDT

And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
    Wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
    Guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill
    KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
    He started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
    Yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me
    Sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."
      March 23, 2018 4:33 AM MDT

I love Arlo Guthrie
    This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at March 23, 2018 9:54 AM MDT
      March 23, 2018 9:39 AM MDT