Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If a river ran out of Eden before Adam was placed into the garden to work it that would mean quite a few years of erosion beforehand, right?

If a river ran out of Eden before Adam was placed into the garden to work it that would mean quite a few years of erosion beforehand, right?

Is Earth really only thousands of years old?  How long does it take to form a river that parts into four headwaters?  thousands?  millions?  billions?  How about the creation of a planet?  7 days?

I don't know the answers.  I want to know the answers.

Posted - March 29, 2018

Responses

You're trying to confine an all powerful infinite God to finite human boundaries.    The One who created all this also created the laws that govern it  We can speculate, make theories or guess all we want to on exactly how things "came to be".  The fact is we weren't around when it happened so we can never really know outside of what God told us.  
      March 29, 2018 6:14 PM MDT

• Please tell me what God told us.

March 29, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

• Also, I'm not a religious nut.  Humanity in general piques my curiosity extensively.
      March 29, 2018 6:24 PM MDT

Gen 1

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    -
    The word 'was' is Strong's number 1961 and means hayah (haw-yaw); a primitive root [compare 1933]; to exist, i.e. be or become, come to pass (always emphatic, and not a mere copula or auxiliary).

The words 'without form' is Strong's 8414 and means tohuw (to'-hoo); from an unused root meaning to lie waste; a desolation (of surface), i.e. desert; figuratively, a worthless thing; adverbially, in vain.

The word 'void' is Strong's 922 and means bohuw (bo'-hoo); from an unused root (meaning to be empty); a vacuity, i.e. (superficially) an undistinguishable ruin.
    -
    Now go to Isaiah 45:18
    18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God Himself That formed the earth and made it; He hath established it, He created it not in VAIN, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

The word 'vain' is the same word that 'without form' is in Genesis 1:2 Strong's 8414.

-Therefore you have:
    Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth BECAME without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    -
    Isaiah 45:18
    18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God Himself That formed the earth and made it; He hath established it, He created it NOT WITHOUT FORM, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else. 

I believe everything was destroyed....and God had to recreate it. In between the original creation and the recreation is billions of years...there is a Gap of billions of years between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2. This is the time of dinosaurs etc. 
      March 29, 2018 7:19 PM MDT

• I already knew you believed in the Gap Theory 9/10 of the way down in your post, before you mentioned "Gap".  Please tell me about this human existence before Adam and Eve.  Did the snake get them, too?
      March 29, 2018 7:48 PM MDT

No. Satan got us. (In his true form...a cherub) He was supposed to be the protector of the throne but instead wanted it for himself. And tried to take it. We split in 1/3s. 1/3 faught with him, 1/3 faught with God and 1/3 did nothing. Rather than kill 2/3 of us, God sent us here to choose once and for all which size we will choose.
      March 30, 2018 7:10 AM MDT

You don't believe that Adam was the first man?
    https://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/15-45.htm

1 Cor 15:45
    New American Standard Bible 
    So also it is written, "The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
      March 30, 2018 8:10 AM MDT

First physical man in this age. 
    We were all with God before this age in our spiritual body...the body we will return to when this physical body dies. 
      March 30, 2018 9:14 AM MDT

(John 8:23) He went on to say to them: “You are from the realms below; I am from the realms above. You are from this world; I am not from this world.
    (Genesis 2:7) And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person.
    (Genesis 3:19) In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”
    (Psalm 103:14) For he well knows how we are formed, Remembering that we are dust.
    (Ecclesiastes 3:20) All are going to the same place. They all come from the dust, and they all are returning to the dust.
      March 30, 2018 7:36 PM MDT

Yes are physical body was formed from the ground and it will return to the ground. Our spiritual body will return to God. 
      March 30, 2018 8:30 PM MDT

Are you referring to Eccl 12:7? In light of the rest of the Bible, I agree with this understanding:
    [Speaking about man’s death, Ecclesiastes 12:7 states: “The dust [of his body] returns to the earth, just as it was, and the spirit returns to the true God who gave it.” When the spirit, or life-force, leaves the body, the body dies and returns to where it came from—the earth. Comparably, the life-force returns to where it came from—God. (Job 34:14, 15; Psalm 36:9) This does not mean that the life-force actually travels to heaven. Rather, it means that for someone who dies, any hope of future life rests with Jehovah God. His life is in God’s hands, so to speak. Only by God’s power can the spirit, or life-force, be given back so that a person may live again.]

Where do you think we were  before we came to the earth as human embryos? Don't forget John 8:23.

(Ecclesiastes 12:7) Then the dust returns to the earth, just as it was, and the spirit returns to the true God who gave it.

(Genesis 2:7) And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person.
    (Job 27:3) As long as my breath is within me And spirit from God is in my nostrils,
    (Job 34:14, 15) If he fixes his attention on them, If he gathers their spirit and breath to himself, 15 All humans would perish together, And mankind would return to the dust.
    (Psalm 104:29) When you hide your face, they are disturbed. If you take away their spirit, they die and return to the dust.
    (Isaiah 42:5) This is what the true God, Jehovah, says, The Creator of the heavens and the Grand One who stretched them out, The One who spread out the earth and its produce, The One who gives breath to the people on it And spirit to those who walk on it:

Also, prior to Jesus' enthronement as King, obviously other than God, he was the only one to have immortality.
    (1 Timothy 6:16) the one alone having immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal might. Amen.
      March 31, 2018 6:17 AM MDT

I'm curious, how do you know this?  (I'm not trying to criticize or offend you)
      March 30, 2018 10:05 PM MDT

What are you TALKING about?

God could create all this in a blink including the erosion.   Why would you try and use physical instructions to explain something you have NO idea about?  Do you even know if Adam and Eve were on this planet?  They may have been a state of being before the physical.  They may have existed on a different plane of existence.  The Earth and the physical realm is quite dense at present, it may have not been that way a gadzillion years ago when the thought of man first entered the Universal Consciousness. 

I mean it is fun to imagine if, and when and how.  But your story doesn't hold much water.  We just do not know.  Period. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 30, 2018 8:04 AM MDT
      March 29, 2018 7:27 PM MDT

• It could have been this.  It could have been that.  Can you tell me which?  No, I have "NO idea", nor do you.  I love pedestals, soap boxes, and high horses just as much as the next....except those with crowd mentalities. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 30, 2018 8:04 AM MDT
      March 29, 2018 7:55 PM MDT

The Bible doesn't say how many days, years, eons or whatever length of time the earth existed before the first creative day. Also, the creative days were not 12 or 24 hour days but rather unspecified periods of time. 

The entire period of the six time units or creative “days” dedicated to the preparation of planet Earth is summed up in one all-embracing “day” at Genesis 2:4: “This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.”

(Genesis 1:1, 2) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and desolate, and there was darkness upon the surface of the watery deep, and God’s active force was moving about over the surface of the waters.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H3117&t=KJV

day, time, year

1. day (as opposed to night)

2. day (24 hour period)

1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1

2. as a division of time

1. a working day, a day's journey

3. days, lifetime (pl.)

4. time, period (general)

March 29, 2018 7:49 PM MDT

as a general point of interest ... scientific research has proven that days were actually shorter in the past. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/02/fossilized-coral-calendar-changes-leap-day/471180/
      March 30, 2018 10:04 AM MDT

An unspecified period of time is still an unspecified period of time. Back in my day anyway.
      March 30, 2018 7:33 PM MDT

Out of ignorance of all of that biblical stuff I tend to stick with scientific evidence. I don't have to prove it...I can see it and measure it. Some of you look at everything and see God...I see bundles of atoms, and I don't wonder where the atoms came from.
      March 30, 2018 8:10 AM MDT

He's atom here with his wonderful sensible answers again....:) 
      March 31, 2018 5:30 PM MDT

NJ...I love you.
      March 31, 2018 7:12 PM MDT

That  to would be totally beliveable and irrefutably undeniable......to wit I know you you are eternally addicted...... 

The gravity of your addiction must be totally intoxicating and akin to Utopia.......:) D
      April 1, 2018 4:32 AM MDT

The natural is sometimes attributed to the supernatural, but the actual supernatural is beyond the purview of science.  
      March 31, 2018 8:34 PM MDT

If you stop and think about it, if God has the power to create the heavens and the earth and everything on it, wouldn't He then have the power to create rivers and the paths (erosion) they would follow? No billions of years needed. Just a thought and my opinion. I know it's an over simplified answer but I try to answer in a way where I'm not writing a novel. :)
      March 30, 2018 8:36 AM MDT

• I like. :-)
      March 30, 2018 8:48 AM MDT