Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » This is NOT a joke. Stuart Whitman the whitest thing on earth played a black man in Black Like Me. He seriously thought this looked real?

This is NOT a joke. Stuart Whitman the whitest thing on earth played a black man in Black Like Me. He seriously thought this looked real?

Posted - April 1, 2018

Responses

Everybody knew it was pretend, only a movie. What point are you trying to make?
      April 1, 2018 5:52 PM MDT

I am going to withhold my answer because I will get pb'd commenting on how intelligent this comment was.
      April 1, 2018 6:46 PM MDT

Maybe you should get help to compose a coherent question.
      April 2, 2018 1:42 PM MDT

• Mickey Rooney played an oriental in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"
    David Carradine played the lead in the TV series "Kung Fu" ... as a chinaman.
    Steve Martin player the lead in the movie "The Jerk" as a poor, black child.

April 1, 2018 6:47 PM MDT

SO WHAT?

Is that even remotely connected to the fact that this guy looked like AL JOLSON doing blackface????
      April 1, 2018 6:49 PM MDT

• James Whitmore was an actor doing his job ... like the three actors that I named.

Hollywood was the culprit here, not the actors. Hollywood, at the time, was too racist to hire someone that wasn't white.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 2, 2018 12:44 PM MDT
      April 1, 2018 6:58 PM MDT

he wasn't a child thru the whole movie...he grew into a successful black man...built a bigger house and everything.
      April 1, 2018 8:49 PM MDT

• If you're talking about "The Jerk,"  he wasn't a very young child in any part of the movie.  First time you see him, on the porch dancing, he's already grown with gray hair.  :)

April 2, 2018 12:03 PM MDT

yes...but he talks about being born a poor black child. I think its right before he goes off hitchhiking and accepts a ride to the end of the fence.Been a lot of years since ive seen it, but I do remember a few parts. This post was edited by maggie at April 2, 2018 12:49 PM MDT
      April 2, 2018 12:43 PM MDT

• Yes he does ... just like in the movie trailer I posted (except the black & white pictures and editorial aren't in the movie).

The movie starts off in front of a theater and pans to the alley next to it and there sits Steve and he's asked to tell his story.
    As he starts his story, the scene changes to:  Dancing on the porch of his child hood home (he's an adult with gray hair at the 2:25 mark).

Anyway, being born a poor, black child was just suppose to be funny and the hook to get into the story.  Portraying him as black was never necessary. The movie doesn't even try to explain how he changed color.  Just suppose to be funny and it was ... to me anyway.
      April 2, 2018 1:23 PM MDT

because he was so stupid that he thought he was black because his family was . it was about making fun of how stupid he was...like when he thought someone was mad at the oil cans at the gas station, how he thought he made it in life because he was in the phone book,.,,is what I got out of it...oh and how he was going to send more money home because patty promised him a job...and he belonged with the curly haired girl ,,,because he had a special purpose. .He was an idiot...but that was the character. This post was edited by maggie at April 2, 2018 1:40 PM MDT
      April 2, 2018 1:31 PM MDT

yeah...back then Hollywood producers thought white Indians looked real too. Whats your point? that hollywoods bull$hit? yup...they still are.
      April 1, 2018 9:07 PM MDT

Even in modern movies it's not unknown to have Indians played by Caucasian actors, even though it's less common than it was. "The Homesman" (2014) for instance. 
      April 2, 2018 3:12 AM MDT

I never really was a big fan of the stars...they still seem like a bunch of weirdos...and never look happy. This post was edited by maggie at April 2, 2018 12:56 PM MDT
      April 2, 2018 12:56 PM MDT

At least nowadays they are presented a real people, not caricatures.
      April 2, 2018 3:08 AM MDT

Maybe the guy just had a shady past :)
      April 2, 2018 5:22 AM MDT

I actually read the book, 'Black Like Me' by John Howard Griffin, a white journalist who dyed his skin black and traveled around the USA to study the reactions he would get. The movie starred James Whitmore.
      April 2, 2018 7:30 AM MDT

• That's right!  It had been so long since I'd seen the movie I'd forgotten that he pretending/portraying a black man.
      April 2, 2018 1:29 PM MDT

It must be a joke, because Stuart Whitman wasn't the actor who portrayed the lead role in the movie, it was James Whitmore. Now that you've declared ol' Stuart to be the whitest of the whites, where does that leave James Whitmore?  

What's happened to you?  You used to research your rants so diligently before posting them. I don't even know who you are any more. 

This post was edited by Randy D at April 2, 2018 8:06 PM MDT
      April 2, 2018 8:15 AM MDT

Whitman Whitmore, Neither are the whitest person on earth:
    Not an albino (The eyes would be red) just white white white.
      April 2, 2018 3:08 PM MDT

You're judging the movie on todays standards. Not the standards of 54 years ago.
      April 2, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

April 2, 2018 2:05 PM MDT