Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What reasons are given for removing Gods name from the Bible? Are any valid?

What reasons are given for removing Gods name from the Bible? Are any valid?

https://biblehub.com/psalms/110-1.htm
New International Version
Of David. A psalm. The LORD says to my lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet."

Posted - April 3, 2018

Responses

The early Christians most certainly did NOT use the name "Jehovah", most were Jewish and the gentile converts used Greek as the lingua Franca, Latin didn't replace Greek in general commerce for another century. There is no letter J in the Aramaic, Hebrew or Greek alphabets.
      April 8, 2018 11:22 PM MDT

We are talking about translating: When Peters speech was put on record
    the Tetragrammaton (YHWH / Jehovah) was here used....

Of course Peter was not speaking English. No one is claiming that.
      April 9, 2018 4:46 AM MDT

As many classes on the Bible and education of biblical languages as you have had and you didn't know what my2cents had to tell you? 
    Transliteration would likely have Y but translation would likely have J. English does have J. Just like Jesus, Joshua, Jehoshaphat, Jonah, Jehu. Do those translations bother you as well?
    If you are Hebrew, you can equally say Yehowah, Yeshua, Yoshua, etc, but to follow the apostate Jewish tradition of replacing it with adonai and translating as LORD is grossly wrong. There is no L, R, or D in the tetragrammaton, is there?

(Mark 7:13) Thus you make the word of God invalid by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.”
    (John 17:6) “I have made your name manifest to the men whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word.
    (John 17:26) I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

April 9, 2018 6:29 AM MDT

YHWH is a contraction of a descriptive sentence. "I am what I am". That describes god just as uniquely as it describes every other conscious being on earth. In short it is not a name. it is a description of WHAT god is, same as it is a description op what every one else is.

But Moses wanted a NAME.  A unique identifier that pointed only at god (and THAT god, not BAAL or Zeus or Jupiter or any of the many people who have declared themselves divine before and since.

So god tried again "I am the god of Abraham, I am the god of Isaac, I am the god of Jacob. That is the name you should tell the israelites."  Together those 3 sentences uniquely identifies the god of the bible. That description is precise enough to identify a single uniqiue individual. But Moses still wasnt happy (it was too long) but accepted that that was all he was going to get.

Now tell me if god had a name, who would have given him that name? god does not have a mommy god, or a daddy god to name him. He is all alone. the one and only Deity there is.

God did not have a name then, and he does not have one now. Despite thousands of people who have tried to give him one since (after he became famous) That is one of the few thing I admire about god. There is NO true name of god. He do not have one, He do not need one. Jahve, Allah, Dear Lord, God of our Fathers, even Jehovah. he answers equally to all of the names we have given him. We are the ones who need to learn, he is under no obligation to adopt our rules. About naming people or about whatever anything else.

Did you get it this time?

April 8, 2018 7:18 AM MDT

I prefer reading what the Bible says rather than being spoon fed opinions. Notice what the scriptures actually say without your slant.

(Exodus 3:14, 15) So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

God's name is in the Hebrew scriptures alone well over 6,000 times. Perhaps you should open your mind a bit and read the answer by my2cents. 
      April 8, 2018 6:51 PM MDT

Another questioner asked if religion did more harm than good, well after wading through the replies here I think it clear that the former is the case. Come on children, you are all supposed to be adults on the same side but you are like a bunch of lunatics arguing over what kind of cheese the moon is made of while beating each other over the heads with whichever version of the Goat Herders Guide to the Galaxy best suits you and you have more than enough versions to choose from.
    The original question is erroneous as not all gods names have been removed so unless you state which gods it is that you are referring to it cannot be answered. These gods are alive and well living in your holy book, perhaps one of them got fed up sharing the same book with a false gods and by way of a miracle had them removed.

Adrammelech Sepharvites 2 Kin 17:31 Sun-god
    Amon Thebes In Egypt Jer 46:25  Sun-god
    Anammelech Sepharvites 2 Kin 17:31 Moon-goddess
    Asherah (Asherim) Canaan Judg 6:25,26,28,30 Fertility goddess
    Ashima Hammath In Syria 2 Kin 17:30  Unknown
    Ashtoreth (Ashtaroth) Syria/Phoenicia/Canaan 1 Kin 11:5,33 Love, fertility goddess
    Baal Syria/Phoenicia/Canaan 2 Kin 10:18-23,25-28  Principal god Baal-berith
    Shechem in Canaan Judg 8:33Judg 9:4 Name means "lord of covenant"
    Baal-Peor Moabites Num 25:3,5 Unknown
    Baal-Zebub (Beelzebub in NT Greek) Ekron In Philistine 2 Kin 1:2,3,6,16 (4 OT)(6 NT) Name means "lord of flies" (protection from)
    Bel (possibly same as Baal) Moabites/Babylonians/Ammonites Isa 46:1 Jer 50:2Jer 51:44  Principal god
    Castor/Pollux (Twin Brothers) Greeks Acts 28:11  Twin sons of Zeus. Protection for sailors.
    Chemosh Moabites 1 Kin 11:7,33 Destroyer, subduer.
    Dagon Philistines 1 Sam 5:2-5,7 Grain god
    Diana/Artemis Ephesus In Greece Acts 19:24,27-28,34-35  Moon, hunting, virginity goddess
    Gad (Fortune) Israel Isa 65:11  Unknown 
    Golden Calf Israel (Borrowed from Egypt) Story in Ex 32 ------------------------------
    Jupiter/Zeus Greek Acts 14:12 King god, ruler of heaven and all other gods
    Kalwan (Chiun) Babylonians Amos 5:26  Possibly star god
    Meni (Destiny) Israel Isa 65:11 Unknown 
    Mercury/Hermes Greek Acts 14:12  Messenger for the gods
    Merodach/Marduk Babylonians Jer 50:2  Possibly associated with Mars, war god
    Milcom (Malcham, Malcam) Ammonites 1 Kin 11:5,33 Unknown 
    Molech (Moloch) Ammonites Lev 20:2,3,4,5 Destroyer, consumer. Child sacrifices made for Nebo
    Chaldea In Babylon Isa 46:1  Writing, speech, literature, arts god
    Nehushtan Israel 2 Kin 18:4 
    Serpent Moses made in wilderness (Num 21:4-9)
    Nergal Cuth in Babylon 2 Kin 17:30 War and hunting god
    Nibhaz Avvites 2 Kin 17:31  Unknown
    Nisroch Assyrians 2 Kin 19:37Isa 37:38 Unknown 
    Queen Of Heaven (Known as Ishtar)
    Assyria/Babylon Jer 7:18Jer 44:17,18,19,25 Love, war, fertility goddess
    Rimmon Syria 2 Kin 5:18  Weather god
    Sikkuth Babylonians Amos 5:26  Unknown
    Saturn god Succoth Benoth Babylonians/Samarians 2 Kin 17:30(1) goddess
    Tammuz Babylonians/Samarians Ezek 8:14  Vegetation god Tartak

This post was edited by DCLXVI at June 6, 2018 11:56 PM MDT
      June 6, 2018 11:31 PM MDT

Perhaps if you read the Bible or perhaps the preface of a modern translation, you will be capable of understanding the question.

God with a capital 'G' in the Bible usually refers to the true God while a small 'g' is often used for false gods.

See if this helps:
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1kings+18%3A21-24&version=RSV

1 Kings 18:21-24 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

21 And Eli′jah came near to all the people, and said, “How long will you go limping with two different opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Ba′al, then follow him.” And the people did not answer him a word. 22 Then Eli′jah said to the people, “I, even I only, am left a prophet of the Lord; but Ba′al’s prophets are four hundred and fifty men. 23 Let two bulls be given to us; and let them choose one bull for themselves, and cut it in pieces and lay it on the wood, but put no fire to it; and I will prepare the other bull and lay it on the wood, and put no fire to it. 24 And you call on the name of your god and I will call on the name of the Lord; and the God who answers by fire, he is God.” And all the people answered, “It is well spoken.”

Which name is missing? (God's name has been removed and 'LORD' was substituted but for some reason the copy and paste came out as 'Lord'.
    Notice in the interlinear the Hebrew form of God's name is retained but the translation to the side substitutes 'LORD'.

https://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/1kg18.pdf This post was edited by texasescimo at June 7, 2018 7:15 AM MDT
      June 7, 2018 6:41 AM MDT

Now I see, you are talking about a real god,one who really exists, my problem is how do you differentiate between a real god who really exists and one who does not exist, as all have the fact in common that there is no evidence for any of them. Do you simply close your eyes and stick a pin in a list?
      June 7, 2018 6:43 PM MDT

Perhaps you can comment in a thread on a subject you know about? 
    We are talking about the Bible and the one mentioned as the true God therein who's name was removed from most translations. Get it?

There are plenty of threads about rather or not God exist. Perhaps you meant to comment there? Of course all you have to add is parroted information like just need a couple of billion years and poof, we are here and pretend like that has been observed by scientist.
      June 8, 2018 6:36 AM MDT

What the sweet fcuk do you thing I am talking about if not gods in the bible, you were the one who mentioned gods, the plural of god, in your original question. GET IT NOW?????

There are plenty of threads about evolution perhaps you meant to comment there? There again perhaps that is not a good idea as you clearly know nothing about the subject, This is evident by you claiming in another post that the animals from the ark were limited to very few 'kinds'. This leaves you with the problem of explaining how these animals evolved into the over 4 million species that we have today.
    Living matter from non living matter has not only been observed by scientists it has been replicated by scientists and if you watched the video I replied to you with, then you actually know that is true.
      June 8, 2018 11:54 AM MDT

It was, and is a satanic conspiracy to have the divine name erased from many bible translations. Satan the devil as god of this system of things (1Corinthians 4:4)has used false religion to accomplish his conspiracy. The same religions that hypocritically claim to love God are the very same that have denied God's personal name, and completely disregard, even deny the legitimacy of the divine name in the bible. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at April 29, 2020 5:17 PM MDT
      June 21, 2018 10:58 PM MDT