Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Scientists surmise the Earth was smacked by an asteroid so hard it gave it a permanent tilt and periodic Winter. Could Global Warming

Scientists surmise the Earth was smacked by an asteroid so hard it gave it a permanent tilt and periodic Winter. Could Global Warming

be a self-correction mechanism? Dinosaurs had no Winter.

Posted - April 9, 2018

Responses

I wish global warming would happen faster, I hate cold weather. PS, that is a very good thought This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at April 12, 2018 1:48 PM MDT
      April 9, 2018 10:43 PM MDT

Dinosaurs did have a few Ice ages.
      April 10, 2018 12:44 AM MDT

1. Your first statement negates all of the others. 'Scientists surmise' means they guessed without evidence.
    3. An asteroid large enough to tilt the earth would completely destroy it. (I haven't done the math yet.)
    4. IF it were tilted by an outside force, Newton's first law says the earth will continue to shift its axis unless another force stopped it.
    5. If there were no tilt there would still be winters above 30 latitude in the North and below -30 latitude in the South. They would be permanent.
      April 10, 2018 7:27 AM MDT

Well The earth axis does precess as it would after an impact. But I quite agree that an impact hard enough to tilt the axis by 23 degrees would destroy the earth. The bigger the gyroscope the bigger the gyroscopic resistance to be overcome.
      April 10, 2018 11:47 AM MDT

Hmmm. 

I thought winter was caused more by the Earth's distance from the sun, during it's elliptical orbit, rather than it's tilt?
      April 10, 2018 7:41 AM MDT

It's the tilt. Many others think the same about the distance. The earth is closer to the sun during winter by about 3 million miles in the Northern hemisphere. It is 3 million miles farther in the Summer. The opposites are true for the Southern hemisphere. It is very complex and has to do with many factors, such as albedo, ocean currents etc, but distance differences have a very minor effect on the overall climate.
      April 10, 2018 7:52 AM MDT

Huh.  Seems contrary, don't it? 
    I mean ... closer to "fire" = colder?  LOL
      April 10, 2018 8:53 AM MDT

It's 93 million miles away. And in the Southern Hemisphere it's further away but hot.
      April 10, 2018 10:34 AM MDT

Yes. and the fiels around us looks flat, so the earth must be too. Reality do not always follow our logic
      April 10, 2018 11:10 AM MDT

I guess you are referring to this:
    https://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/tilted-earth/

A multitude of impacts that eventually caused a 23 degree tilt. All happening 2-3 billion years before the dinosaurs. It is possible, but so are other things. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at April 10, 2018 12:25 PM MDT
      April 10, 2018 12:24 PM MDT

Dinosaurs didn't have plastic carrier bags either, nor did their leaders take private jets to climate change meetings whilst taxing the rest of the nation on fuel consumption.
      April 10, 2018 2:52 PM MDT

Some scientists are dingbats, but very few will say something so easily refuted. Two bodies in space do not "smack". They fall apart and the meeting is more like two shotgun blasts intersecting. Gravity, you know.

And you do not change the angle of a planet's spin without violent reactions. Go get a gyroscope and see what happens when you try to turn it. I doubt anything on the planet would have survived.

ETA: I have been posting this link for years, but I don't think anybody has ever read it. Maybe because they wish it wouldn't say what it says.
     saturniancosmology(dot)org

Edited to fix link.
    Edited again to fix the fix. This post was edited by Not Sure at April 12, 2018 3:53 PM MDT
      April 10, 2018 5:56 PM MDT

Your link tries to go to HTTPS:www.saturniancosmology.org it should be just HTTP: (no 's') it goes bad because of an error in the mug that turn all links that are http: into https: even if they should not be. I got to the site by removing the 's' in my address line and clicking 'go there'.

Frankly, the site looks like a crackpot site and the internet have plenty enough of those already. The effects described does not fit with the events he say caused them (whether because of magnitude mistakes or because of him assigning causes to fit with mythologies he looked at). I found no trace of a list of mythologies that does not fit with his ideas. In serious work there should be one, instead he implies 'all', and I can easily name several that does not. Old Norse for one.
    This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at April 12, 2018 3:14 PM MDT
      April 12, 2018 3:10 PM MDT

You read 34 chapters and 16 appendices to the point of disproving everything in only two days? That is even harder to believe than the book is! This post was edited by Not Sure at April 12, 2018 10:45 PM MDT
      April 12, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

I did not read it all, just enough to spot the outpoints I mentioned
      April 12, 2018 10:45 PM MDT

So you are in the group that won't read it because you wish it wouldn't say what it says.
      April 13, 2018 6:28 PM MDT

That is right, I do not read People Magazine either.
      April 13, 2018 7:01 PM MDT