Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Travel » What's the biggest travel fail that happened to you or someone you know?

What's the biggest travel fail that happened to you or someone you know?

One of my cousins and her 18 year old son went to Argentina to visit family there.  It was legal for him to have beer or wine there but she didn't think he should have any until he was 21 so they got into an epic battle over it.

That wasn't even her biggest fail on that trip!  She went to Argentina in June and was kind of underdressed for the weather.  She didn't even pack any warm clothes.  Yeah, that equator thing has a way of turning a summer vacation into a winter vacation, lol.  

Posted - April 10, 2018

Responses

911 and everything that happened to travel since then.

April 10, 2018 9:55 AM MDT

Oh, my. That will always tear my heart and take my breath away. Like everyone, I suppose.

You do make a good point with your answer about how it affected travel ever since.
      April 10, 2018 11:57 AM MDT

Not terribly failing but I had to travel for a job. And one of my favorite amusement parks, Holiday World near Santa Claus, Indiana, USA, was within four hours, out of my way, from the job site. The only reason I really, really, really like the park is for my favorite roller coaster I've ever ridden is there, The Voyage. (Even though it's a great park overall, it's The Voyage that I go for.)

After my job was finished I traveled the distance and got to a motel near the park late one night. The next day I went to the park and there was a sign at the entrance to the park -- 

"The Voyage will not be in operation for the entire day."

Ha!
    :)

Here's a video of the coaster from the front seat:

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 10, 2018 9:24 PM MDT
      April 10, 2018 10:57 AM MDT

Oh, that was wonderful!
      April 10, 2018 5:13 PM MDT

I'm glad you liked it!!
    You know, when I'm on that coaster, life is perfect! Ha! I'm so happy when I'm riding it.
    Amazing coaster
      April 10, 2018 6:45 PM MDT

The worse was sitting on a airports runway for four hours plus waiting for the plane to get cleared for take off..
    My bum was num and we still had another 3.5/4 hours flight ahead of us...:(
      April 10, 2018 12:10 PM MDT

...or a long traffic jam up if you are traveling by car.

I always seem to be on that airplane that sits on the runway.  They could at least run that little booze cart down the aisle in the mean time.  LOL
      April 10, 2018 12:13 PM MDT

I think alcohol might have compounded the problem ..:( 
      April 10, 2018 12:31 PM MDT

I'm not quite sure why, but after about a month of dating a guy, we decided we should take a "family" trip together. So, the trip was scheduled to happen about 2.5 months into the relationship, and would include me and my troop (kids age 6, 9, 19, and 19) and him and his troop (kids age 7, 8, and 20). All nine of us were Disney-bound. He and I did a pretty good job of splitting up the duties and creating general plans. One of my jobs was to secure a massive rental van that we could all fit in for the drive. I booked the van about a month prior to the trip and thought nothing of it until the day came. I showed up at the rental place around 11am to get it, at which point they promptly told me that because I didn't have a credit card, only a debit card, they wouldn't release the vehicle to me. I was like... "Wait a minute. You let me reserve it with this card. You accepted and confirmed my booking a month ago. I have seven kids waiting for this van. I have hotels and tickets for the trip purchased, all contingent on us getting this van and leaving in the next couple hours." No dice. They wouldn't budge. I even called their 800 number and customer service said it was my fault for not reading the fine print on the reservation. I could have gotten any other vehicle type with my debit card- even a smaller minivan, but those only hold seven, at most, and wouldn't have worked. 

So, in all my awkwardness, I had to call the guy and tell him why I couldn't get the van. He was cool about it and told me not to worry- that he'd come down and get the van himself. He arrived there around 3... and also brought a debit card. He was also denied, of course. At that point, I'm starting to panic. There are thousands of dollars in prepaid expenses on the line and eager kids who expect a major trip. My own kids and I hadn't had a vacation in years. My youngest had never been on a vacation, so this was huge. I started frantically calling around to other rental places- all of which would have gladly rented to me with my debit card, but none had a big van. If I had used any other company and booked in advance, it wouldn't have been a problem, but because I chose that one, I was SOL. 

Ultimately, he opted to rent a smaller van to fit his troops and I had to drive my regular van for mine. Not only did that suck because I hadn't planned on driving and didn't sleep the night before, but it also set the tone for the whole trip. With us being in two separate vehicles, that's exactly what the trip was- separate- and not by my choosing. We saw each other in passing during the evenings. 

The other oddity... we rented a home from AirBnB. The place was massive. It had 5-6 bedrooms, a pool, a hot tub, a game room, an in-home theater, a baby grand piano, a spiral staircase- the works. The kids loved the place and it was literally hundreds of dollars less than a hotel would have been. Anyway, so I'm sitting out on the back patio the first morning, sipping my coffee, trying to recover from the late night, planning the day, checking the Mug. It's a private area with block walls, so I think nothing of going out there in my nightgown. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch some movement in the back of the lot. It's a woman. She's older- probably in her 60s and she's moving from plant to plant, pruning and watering. Initially, I assume she's some kind of gardener, particularly because she had no qualms about coming up on the patio with me and working on the plants there, and she also smiled at me and then said something not in English. I left it at that and then started my day, carefully locking the door behind me when I went in. However, while we were all vegging that night, she made an appearance again. And again. And again. We were able to ascertain that she was staying on the property somewhere because she'd appear at odd times of the day and if we left anything out, she'd tidy up after us, but there wasn't a guest house or guest room. My son, who had taken a couple years of Mandarin in school, was fairly certain that's what she was speaking to us, but he couldn't remember enough of the language to know what she was saying or communicate with her. I pondered for a while if maybe she was a neighbor who had been hired to care for the property, but even when we locked gates from the inside- to the yard and home, she'd still be found within locked areas that could only be opened from the inside, so we knew she was never leaving. Yet, she remained tidy and well-kept, so she was obviously bathing and changing her clothes somewhere on the property- sleeping there too. :o My best guess is that she was the mother of the property owner, but the property owner never responded to our inquiries about who she was and why she was there. She was friendly enough, always smiling, and seemed to belong, so we just kind of lived with her, not knowing where she'd pop up at any given moment or where she was staying. 

I know... I know... you guys are all probably shocked that we lived with her and that she didn't kill us all while we slept, but what choice did we really have? She didn't speak English and she seemed to mean well. 

There was more... so much more that went wrong on that trip. A lot of the things in the house were broken- like the hot tub. The game room was in a glass patio, but the doors were locked, so we couldn't get inside. I sat down on my kids' bed one night and it collapsed. It had apparently been held up with empty paint cans. My youngest son flooded the master bathroom because he didn't know what the bidet was, turned it on full blast, and then fled the room in fear as the water shot all over the ceiling and into the next room. I lost my cell phone. Rides broke repeatedly while we were on them or in line for them. The princesses were never where they were supposed to be when they were scheduled to be there, so we missed them. And, of course, my guy and I almost never saw each other, aside from when we were disagreeing about plans. By the end of it, none of us could walk. My six-year-old was toast and wanted to be carried out of Universal Studios on the last day, but none of us had the strength to do it. He sat down in the middle of the exit and would not move for anything. I couldn't blame him. That's exactly what I wanted to do, only I at least had the maturity to see that wouldn't help the situation. He would crawl a little now and then, but we weren't making any progress, so we started joking around with him like he was a dog, calling "here, boy" and rewarding him with bits of candy when he did. I ultimately stopped into a popcorn shop and picked up a couple bags, so I could continue the game on the way out. It got him up on his feet and moving- at a snail's pace- but at least he was moving- and laughing- and barking. We got a lot of odd looks from people, but I'm telling you- it was either that and laughter or we were all going to leave in tears. We chose laughter.  By the time we finally made it home, we were done for. Every last one of us stayed in bed for about 24 hours after. 
      April 10, 2018 12:36 PM MDT

That's a bigger disaster than my last vacation fail!  I went to Epcot where I threw up on Mission:Space then I threw up again on Test Track.  Not my best day, especially since I went on the green mission which didn't have barf bags because they said it was supposed to be easier!
      April 10, 2018 1:00 PM MDT

Wow! That's quite a story!! 

I love how you got your little one to make it to the car. Way to go, Mom! :)
      April 10, 2018 6:52 PM MDT

I have been to the shore where it rained the whole darn week.  The one time, I had my kids.  My kids weren't grown yet either and they made a miserable experience into a nightmare.  You can only play so many board games and miniature golf before everyone gets fried.  

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at April 10, 2018 6:59 PM MDT
      April 10, 2018 12:50 PM MDT

Greyhound night trip from some stupid place in N.C. to Atlanta. The bus pulled in someplace, the driver got out and went home. After an hour I got off and asked the dispatcher WTF? He said "Atlanta? That bus left an hour ago. I said "No, it didn't it's still sitting outside the door!" It took another hour and a half to get another driver and get the hound on the road again.
      April 10, 2018 5:17 PM MDT

I've never been on Greyhound but I've heard stories from people who have.  I'd like to take a bus trip just to see if they're true, lol, but only as long as there's not a cannibal on board.  Umm yeah, that would ruin the whole trip.
      April 10, 2018 6:55 PM MDT

I treated my sister to a vacation and we ended up in a huge fight about a complete sociopath of a guy she was dating. He wasn't even on the trip, but managed to ruin the last couple of days anyway. I hope he's back in prison, where he belongs! 

Nothing like being trapped in a minivan for 10 hours with someone you're not speaking to. It was terrible. 
      April 10, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

We used to drive from Phoenix, Arizona USA, where I went to college, to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where I went to high school, in the summer.  On one trip we drove straight through to New Orleans, Louisiana the first day.  After a few hours rest we took the bus to the French Quarter for drinks and entertainment.  At midnight when we went to catch the bus back to our hotel, we found out that the buses stopped running at 11:00PM!  We were stuck in downtown New Orleans and started trying to find a phone to call a cab.  There were plenty of people on the streets still because most of them were homeless. One man was talking to a policeman because his shoes had been stolen.  At that point I decided it would be a good idea to get some place where there were lots of witnesses so the two girls I was with and I would be safer.  We found the Greyhound bus station which was full of street people but, thank heaven, there was also a phone.  I called a cab and went to use the bathroom.  Inside the bathroom, black men were lined up against every wall presumably protesting that the bathrooms were (or once were) segregated, this being the deep south USA.  I lost my will to pee and left unmolested, of course.
    The taxi driver shortly arrived, drunk.  On the way back to the hotel, he fell asleep at the wheel while stopped at a red light.  Then he missed the turn to our hotel and had to drive around about a half mile out our way to get back on the right road.  We thought he was lost, but at last we came to the driveway of the hotel.  It was good to get behind a locked door.
    The rest of the trip was fine.  I had a great time with my old high school buddies and had some funny stories to tell about our adventure in New Orleans.
      April 10, 2018 8:33 PM MDT

During my first visit to Sri Lanka, my friend and I were walking peacefully in the Udawattekele Sanctuary when we were almost attacked by a wild boar!!!

BONUS: After the wild boar incident, we were then subsequently almost eaten alive by leeches!!!
      April 10, 2018 9:23 PM MDT