Active Now

Pet Eater
DannyPetti
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Was it the 70s when wrong became the new right?

Was it the 70s when wrong became the new right?

Trying to chronicle the history of social dysfunction.

Posted - April 13, 2018

Responses

No. I do agree there are worrying trends but that might be just that I am old.. that it's too different from my own experiences... All generations have had their problems and the older generation didn't like it.. remember the Sorates quote about the younger gen being disrespectful and selfish? 
      April 13, 2018 9:45 AM MDT

No that happened mostly in the 1950es when the practicalities of the cold war made it necessary for empathy to mean weakness and trust to mean stupidity. That has caused quite a few problems since.
      April 13, 2018 12:45 PM MDT

The state of our world is always the same - it’s always getting worse.

I think we need to get some perspective. This is an ongoing cycle, society is evolving, and what is taking shape is not encouraging. IMO

This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 13, 2018 2:26 PM MDT
      April 13, 2018 12:51 PM MDT

In my opinion the 70s should have never been allowed to exist. And yes to your question, Men were expected to act like women, and women where expected to act like men. The cloths reflected that opinion. The music sucked, the clothing sucked even harder. I did not enjoy school/high school or life in general in the 70s so lets not bring it up again shall we. ;+
      April 13, 2018 12:58 PM MDT

One recent opinion.
    1968: The Year That Changed America Forever

In 1968, the country seemed to be having a nervous breakdown as battles erupted over the Vietnam War, cultural values and race.
    By Kenneth T. Walsh Contributor. Dec. 31, 2017, at 11:00 p.m.
    U.S. News & World Report

Is 2018 Shaping Up as Another 1968?

It was a hinge point in history, one of the most consequential and tumultuous years in the American experience, and it changed the country forever.

One traumatic event followed another as a wide array of social and political trends that had been building for years reached critical mass. During the span of 12 months a half-century ago, there were two shocking assassinations, growing and sometimes violent opposition to the escalating Vietnam war, hardening class differences, severe economic problems, and an increasingly impatient civil rights movement that gave rise to combative and angry black power advocates. And that wasn't all. Add in the rise of feminism, doubts about the credibility of the nation's leaders, a growing rebellion of young people against their parents' values, campus revolts against authoritarian administrators and lifestyle constraints, a new sexual freedom made possible by the birth control pill and, overall, a ferocious culture war over "values issues" such as abortion, crime, patriotism, prayer in school, freedom of speech and respect for institutions. It was all dramatized and magnified by popular culture and an increasingly aggressive news media eager to hold political and cultural leaders accountable for society's shortcomings.            https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-12-31/1968-the-year-that-changed-america-forever
      April 13, 2018 1:30 PM MDT

No, it was 1913 when congress passed a bill allowing a private bank to create phony money. The immediate result was "the roaring twenties" when some people mysteriously had large amounts of cash to spend. They gave lavish gifts called "tips" to emphasize they they were special and service personnel were sh!t. To this day, travelers from other countries consider that an obscene custom, a violation of free market principles.
      April 13, 2018 6:37 PM MDT

no
      April 13, 2018 6:42 PM MDT

An ancient prophet wrote:"Woe to those who say that good is bad and bad is good, those who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness, those who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" (Isaiah 5:20) this prophecy has taken special meaning since the the time of the end of this system of things began In 1914 . the world became a much worse and dangerous place in which to live in. (Revelation 12:7-12) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at May 8, 2018 11:15 PM MDT
      May 8, 2018 11:03 PM MDT