Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » After the Syria attack should Trump start moving the National guard back to their State?

After the Syria attack should Trump start moving the National guard back to their State?

I think he should to be on the safe side.  Syria or Russia could be planning a terrorist attack  so as a safe guard the  National guard should be put back were they belong. Cheers!

Posted - April 15, 2018

Responses

What Trump should do and what he will do tend to be two different things. There's no predicting what he will do.
      April 15, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

The first part is true but not the second part. I make money predicting/betting  on what Trump will or will not do . Cheers!
      April 15, 2018 11:31 AM MDT

You do? I am impressed! They should pay you squillons of dollars because there seem to be few others that can predict his unpredictable tantrums :P
      April 15, 2018 11:41 AM MDT

I do and I think I should be getting squilions of dollars too but unfortunately I only get 25 cents per bet because there  bets with friends and making it for a quarter keeps it friendly. Last week I was a head 75 cents but because I bet Trump wouldn't attack Syria I'm down to 50 cents. Cheers!   

April 15, 2018 12:05 PM MDT

Watching two foreigners talk about what America should do.............no thanks.
      April 15, 2018 7:36 PM MDT

I want to know why he used the National Guard in the first place.
    Our Army/Marines can't come up with 4000 troops?

April 16, 2018 10:01 AM MDT

I wonder about that too. Not to belittle the National Guard but if I had to chose between a Marine protecting my yard or a National Guard protecting my yard I'd chose the Marine.  I was thinking maybe one of the reasons Trump used the National Guard is because Obama had tried  using them on the border then pulled them off - Trump seems to like undoing things Obama did so maybe he put them back to spite Obama. I was also thinking that the National Guard that are on the border now are unarmed and maybe when you deploy the Marines they have to be armed. Cheers!
      April 16, 2018 10:31 AM MDT

“The Posse Comitatus Act, 18 U.S.C.S. § 1385 (1979), is designed to limit "the direct active use of federal troops by civil law enforcement officers" to enforce the laws of the nation. Limiting military involvement in civilian affairs is basic to our system of government and the protection of individual constitutional rights.”
      April 16, 2018 12:04 PM MDT

“The Posse Comitatus Act, 18 U.S.C.S. § 1385 (1979), is designed to limit "the direct active use of federal troops by civil law enforcement officers" to enforce the laws of the nation. Limiting military involvement in civilian affairs is basic to our system of government and the protection of individual constitutional rights.”
      April 16, 2018 12:03 PM MDT

That doesn't answer my question, though.
    The National Guard falls under that Act, as well.
    Once they are called to duty by the President, they become federal troops.

So why ask the National Guard to play a patrol role, when we should have regular troops available?
    Or do we NOT have 4000 regular troops?  Which would raise questions about our readiness.
    (I hear the Navy is shorthanded, which is allegedly why they have had "so many" accidents lately)

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at April 16, 2018 12:45 PM MDT
      April 16, 2018 12:44 PM MDT

I think you are wrong about that Walt, based on what I've read recently since Trump decided to send them there.

But I could be wrong.  If you discover I am, please let me know.
      April 16, 2018 12:48 PM MDT

The unique charter of the National Guard creates a force that is a "joint reserve component of the United States Army".

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/10503

Since the National Guard is "any part" of the Army, they are bound by the PCA.

Allegedly (according to reports on NPR) the National Guard will be used mainly as "extra eyes" - and to call for Border Patrol agents, if they see any suspicious activity.  >> I mean, if that's what they're going to be doing, the Border Patrol could have asked for volunteers and gotten thousands of people for free.  LOL

April 16, 2018 2:29 PM MDT

Thanks.

It would in no way unusual for Trump to attempt to do things while totally unaware of the constraints upon his actions.

I saw on the internet today that the troops may wind up being armed.

Sooner or later somebody will figure out was is legal to do---and what isn't.

At the moment, I'm content to wait and see what develops.
      April 17, 2018 11:37 AM MDT

Of course they're gonna be armed.
    It's more for show than substance.
    And the show is so much better when they're carrying battle rifles.  Even if they're unloaded. 
    (Like they were when some NG were posted in the airports shortly after 9/11/2001.)

I could imagine that technically, since they are patrolling our border, one could argue it is within their military duties to "protect and defend from hostile forces".  I mean, what exactly constitutes a "hostile force"?  
      April 17, 2018 11:48 AM MDT

The National Guard comes from all states. To which state are you referring?
      April 23, 2018 10:44 AM MDT