Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Even though I exercise a LOT, I only hydrate with water; I'm not a fan of sports drinks or other choices.

Even though I exercise a LOT, I only hydrate with water; I'm not a fan of sports drinks or other choices.

Studies vary on their effectiveness, and of course, all the companies that sell them tout how wonderful they are. Scientific, non-biased studies compare one to another, vouch for some and dismiss others. Either way, I'm still not convinced that nature's brand isn't the best for me personally. 

If you have an opinion on the subject of whether or nor sports drinks are better than water for advanced, highly active athletes, would you mind sharing it with us, please?  Thank you. 

~

Posted - April 21, 2018

Responses

• Shaking hands with you and nodding.......haha
      April 26, 2018 11:22 AM MDT

It is illegal to dump acid whey into lakes and rivers in the USA. But the byproduct does have many valuable uses. 
    https://mooscience.com/Acid-Whey-FAQ.html This post was edited by my2cents at April 25, 2018 6:42 PM MDT
      April 25, 2018 5:07 PM MDT

Some clever wag found a whey of making cheese back out of the waste product ....:) 

I watched a documentary that said America illegally  dumps more whey then any other country in the world.....:( 
      April 25, 2018 5:28 PM MDT

I couldn't open it......what does it say ?  
      April 25, 2018 5:31 PM MDT

• My security police said NO also to the link being not secure.
      April 25, 2018 6:07 PM MDT

IDK..I can't get it to open either. But if I  type www.mooscience.com in directly it lets me see it with no security warning. Weird. 

But it is used in animal food, human food, fertilizer, biofuel, etc. 
    It is illegal to dump because dumping that amount of any substance would change the ecosystem of any water source. This post was edited by my2cents at April 26, 2018 2:02 AM MDT
      April 25, 2018 6:29 PM MDT

It said just half a pint in a river and it kills all the fish and other life in there by changing the PH of the water.....I watched it on sky tv and saved the programme :(
      April 26, 2018 2:06 AM MDT

If just a 1/2 pint kills the fish....and it also said the USA illegally dumps thousands of gallons....then the USA would have no fish in the waters.  But yes, adding anything with a higher or lower ph to a water system will effect the natural ph of the water. 
      April 26, 2018 5:09 AM MDT

I can find the program if you want to view it.....I kept it on our sky box.....it was all very interesting...
      April 26, 2018 5:22 AM MDT

Sure if you have the name. 
      April 26, 2018 5:27 AM MDT

It's called Food Unwrapped and I think it's episode 7 
      April 26, 2018 5:29 AM MDT

Thank you I will look into it.
      April 26, 2018 5:32 AM MDT

• What I was trying to say with my post was  that I think I get enough electrolytes within my daily diet, so I can afford to drink water without additives.
      April 26, 2018 7:59 AM MDT

The only fact I am able to confirm is that when you put out those sports drinks men really seem to go for them.  Which don't know if they are efficacious or just their design and advertising makes men feel more manly taking them.  Certainly I never heard anyone even talk of "hydrating" before maybe ten years ago.  Though I think those drinks have been around for lots of years.   At least since the 70s. 

I don't care for those drinks though admittedly I do not engage in highly active athletics.  But then many of the men who drink them do not either.  Sometimes I get a bottled water at work.  At home I drink fizzy water (carbonated) when I get thirsty.  Or after a meal.  Or a glass of wine.  
      April 29, 2018 8:54 AM MDT