Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Even though I exercise a LOT, I only hydrate with water; I'm not a fan of sports drinks or other choices.

Even though I exercise a LOT, I only hydrate with water; I'm not a fan of sports drinks or other choices.

Studies vary on their effectiveness, and of course, all the companies that sell them tout how wonderful they are. Scientific, non-biased studies compare one to another, vouch for some and dismiss others. Either way, I'm still not convinced that nature's brand isn't the best for me personally. 

If you have an opinion on the subject of whether or nor sports drinks are better than water for advanced, highly active athletes, would you mind sharing it with us, please?  Thank you. 

~

Posted - April 21, 2018

Responses

You could try ginger tea making it yourself from ginger root. Grate a bit of the root enough to suit your taste, boil it a bit then add a bit of lemon, sugar -or cool it for a cold drink. Ginger gives you energy and has many health benefits. 
      April 21, 2018 12:27 PM MDT

Thank you. 
    ~
      April 21, 2018 12:42 PM MDT

People who study a bit of nutrition drink water, straight, when they are thirsty. The world seems to be flooded with people trying to build up one thing or another without bothering to learn the business.
      April 21, 2018 12:40 PM MDT

Why would I drink something of which I don't really know the contents when something more basic does the job entirely? Water all day, Randy baby.
      April 21, 2018 12:47 PM MDT

At least some "sports drinks" have the benefit of replacing electrolytes lost through sweat.

I have had a doctor suggest that I occasionally drink one, but my primary rehydration protocol is imply water.
      April 21, 2018 12:55 PM MDT

There's one now: "Hey, it's got electrolytes."

Do you know what electrolytes are?
      April 21, 2018 2:49 PM MDT

Duh---yes.
      April 21, 2018 2:51 PM MDT

Back in the 70s,  when I finished a 2 hour hare scramble motorcycle off-road endurance race, nothing hit the spot like an ice cold Gatorade. You could feel the stuff absorb into all the thirsty parts of the body. 
      April 21, 2018 1:36 PM MDT

There's one caveat: I can't stand the taste of that swill. 
    ~
      April 21, 2018 3:15 PM MDT

You also lose salt along with water. So, it's best to drink water with added electrolytes. Smart Water, Life Water, etc. 
      April 21, 2018 9:16 PM MDT

Thank you.

~
      April 21, 2018 11:28 PM MDT

Well, yes, you lose salt when you sweat. But "salt" is not a specific substance. The body needs balanced amounts of sodium salt and potassium salt. That balance might shift one way or the other almost instantly in certain activities. Even a PhD in nutrition can't say which is needed at any moment. And I am pretty sure nobody here has a PhD in nutrition. So the best thing to do is to follow the advice of specially trained smart people and drink pure water for your sweaty sports.
      April 22, 2018 2:40 AM MDT

Thank you. The problem with following the advice of specially trained people is that some of them have agendas or ulterior motives for pushing a particular perspective. It's not easy to discern in whom to place one's trust. 
    ~
      April 22, 2018 5:01 AM MDT

Yes, there is that. Your most reliable hint is that they are selling a product.
      April 22, 2018 6:06 AM MDT

• In my household I use Himalayan Pink Salt with all the trace minerals one can think of, I also use daily and enough of it Florida Cane Sugar, eat my own bread with molasses etc., eat a raw apple daily, drink Apple Cider vinegar w. raw honey ( 96 living enxymes), have a good beer sometimes and wine also and cook every meal myself, very often kale, cauliflower and such. nothing pre-packed except a Pizza sometimes. I often sweat in southern Florida - but Idrink only tap water 3 times filtered ( sediment, charcoal and special expensive filter to take out toxins and smell ) when I am thirsty. Guess what - -my blood panel looks like from a book, as it should be, eventhough I am old. Did I mention I also eat eggs and bacon and butter? Now I am going overboard with my nutrition expose. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 26, 2018 6:00 AM MDT
      April 25, 2018 12:43 PM MDT

The english government make the salt companies strip all of the good chemicals from natural salt and then tell everyone that pure sodium is harmful to the human body and then tell us not to eat to much of it ....:( 
      April 25, 2018 1:55 PM MDT

• The government where I live is not much better. Sugar and Salt are bleached and stripped of enzymes, with other words - are getting killed. Then they add iodine to salt to make it better> Well- not everybody can take more iodine than necessary. Why can't we buy the naturals and add whatever we need??   With milk ist the same story, they kill the milk first and then revive it by adding synthetic vitamins and think they did the right job. I get very animated by hitting that topic...as you can tell.

April 25, 2018 2:50 PM MDT

I get angry to.....it's a case of ,don't do as we do ,do as we say.....
    America tips one and a half million gallons of acid Wey into its water courses.... 1 pint will kill all fish and      living things in the water.....acid Wey is the waste products of making Greek yogurt....it's illegal world wide to tip acid Wey down drains/sewers or dispose  of where it will damage the enviroment.....:( 

You need to keep well away from all GM foods......I believe in Ametica it's no longer law to list GM ingredients on food packets ..:( 
      April 25, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

• Thank you for your advice. I do what I can in this regard. I very seldom buy something packed or pre-cooked or else, I buy only what I think looks natural in the veggie aisle. In the winter season the farmers markets are open and I buy fresh local veggies from there, in the coming summer saison the markets are closed because of the high temperatures.  I am very careful what I buy or where it comes from - I read labels all the time anyway.....
      April 25, 2018 4:49 PM MDT

Fruit and vegetable are not seasonal anymore in England....it's now flown in on jumbo jets from all around the globe daily .....
    so many fruits and veg are grown in hydroponic troughs now and things like tomatoes are just tasteless....

Not many people know what they are buying now unless you pick it of the tree/plant yourself.....

:( 
      April 25, 2018 5:03 PM MDT

• In Florida wintersaison refers to the 6 months when you can be outside or the farmers can open their stands in the outside, even though it is warm and sunny. In summer saison you have the air conditioner going  and stay inside as much as possible. We are talking 30 - 38/40 Grad Celsius and burning sun with almost 100% humidity because of the daily afternoon downpour connected to a thunderstorm. Here on farmers markets you can buy Pineapples, all kind of Citrus fruits and what you call in Europe "Exotic Fruits" - all grown locally. Some of those I would not dare to eat, I never tried.
      April 25, 2018 5:59 PM MDT

It's more a case of buyer beware I think....lol
      April 26, 2018 11:04 AM MDT

• It is hard for me to think in short terms, I am a writer - and I think you all have to keep up with my blubbering, which some times leaves the topic.........
      April 26, 2018 11:10 AM MDT

Staying on topic when I'm having a rant is neigh on I possible....
    we must be so alike.....lol
      April 26, 2018 11:17 AM MDT