Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Can an apt manager really tell you you cant keep your belongings in boxes?

Can an apt manager really tell you you cant keep your belongings in boxes?

I've lived here 6 yrs and that has never been an issue. but my building has had issues with bedbugs, i've had to get rid of my bed cause of it, and my couch has been sprayed several times, i have not seen one bug near my boxes in 6 months, i was thinking about getting rid of my couch when the manager told me i had to cause he wasnt going to keep paying to spray it, i had thought of doing it too but told him i needed to wait till they came to spray cause companies wont pick up stuff like that unless its been treated, i got rid of my couch on friday, i think eggs where hatching cause i started to see the smaller bugs. when the apt manager came with the pest control guy he said something about my boxes and that i should get some bins and put my stuff in there instead, i get it hes saying that cause of bugs but like i said i havent seen any in 6 months there since theyve done the heat treatments, im not in a position to lift boxes right now and im also not in a position to pay to buy bins either, especially since ive already spent all my money from this coming month on getting rid of the couch, thats not cheap to have someone pick it up either and i had to go to walmart and get an airbed, which was done on purpose cause they have nowheres to lay eggs, so was he just making a suggestion or is he going to keep bothering me about it? of course if i saw bugs there that would be a different story but i havent seen any in months there and i dont want to hurt myself for nothing. so was he serious or just making a suggestion? i get it we have bugs but i havent seen any since i got rid of my couch. can apt managers really not let you keep your belongings in boxes? its not like im keeping drugs in my apt, i have neighbors that smoke marijuana inside their apts and theyre still here. so do you think he was just trying to be helpful or pushy?

Posted - April 29, 2018

Responses

Hmm hard to know his intentions for sure but my thinking is.. it's YOUR apt. You live there, you pay the rent, (even if you have it paid for you, you are still the tenant and the one causing the rent to be paid) so as I see it you can do what you like as long as you aren't posing a health and safety risk.. I would think boxes would prevent bed bugs as even if something were to hatch out in there they cant really do much if the boxes are closed?
      April 29, 2018 8:42 AM MDT

Bugs do like to live in corrugated cardboard.   The fluting gives them a safe place to lay eggs and hide.  Roaches actually eat paper (I think).  You can order eight (8) 18 gal. storage containers from Walmart.com for $4.50 each at a total of $35.05 and they will deliver them right to your door for free.  That's my suggestion to your problem today.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay-18-Gal-Plastic-Storage-Totes-Black-Set-of-8/55489780 This post was edited by Thriftymaid at April 29, 2018 8:35 PM MDT
      April 29, 2018 8:43 AM MDT

Well, seems I learned something today.. I confess I have very little experience of bugs, I assumed that they wouldn't like cardboard boxes because there's nothing to nibble, no humans in there
      April 29, 2018 8:58 AM MDT

Roaches like the glue in the corrugations. I had that problem in a classroom once.
      April 29, 2018 11:42 AM MDT

I've been always told not to keep cardboard boxes in the house, and when you get deliveries to get the boxes out of the house ASAP.  :)
      April 30, 2018 3:06 AM MDT