Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Though you've liked them a long time, are there any entertainers' works that have been on your mind more than usual lately?

Though you've liked them a long time, are there any entertainers' works that have been on your mind more than usual lately?

Etta James
and
Shriekback for me

Posted - April 29, 2018

Responses

Entertainers are never on my mind.  
      April 29, 2018 8:47 AM MDT

I like this answer, too, of yours, Thriftymaid!
    :)
    Great answer!

* though, no doubt, Etta and Shriekback are on mine  :)
      April 29, 2018 8:54 AM MDT

I think you get it.  I think about music and books but not the artist themselves.  I am not a celebrity fan at all.  I don't care how they live, think, etc.  I appreciate the work.....sometimes.  
      April 29, 2018 10:05 AM MDT

Yes.

And I was not so clear on my question. I may edit it to the "entertainers' works."

I was thinking of James' and Shriekback's music, for sure, being on my mind.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 1, 2020 7:35 AM MST
      April 29, 2018 10:22 AM MDT

Yes, I just edited my question to be more clear to my intention.
      April 29, 2018 10:24 AM MDT

Let me choose one of your choices appropriate for today... This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at May 24, 2018 8:12 AM MDT
      April 29, 2018 9:03 AM MDT

I just heard this song a bit ago today -- I have Etta playing right now in the background as I do this-and-that. I'm listening to your post, though, too, now. I do like her style, so!
      April 29, 2018 9:21 AM MDT

Years active‎: ‎1954–2012..Genres‎: ‎Blues‎; ‎R&B‎; ‎soul‎; ‎gospel - She won six Grammy Awards and 17 Blues Music Awards. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, the Blues Hall of Fame in 2001, and the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999. Rolling Stone magazine ranked James number 22 on its list of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time, she died on January 20, 2012... -wiki
      April 29, 2018 10:07 AM MDT

Thanks for that, Beans/SilentGeneration. Interesting to me!

I thought she was alive.
    :(
      April 29, 2018 10:27 AM MDT

Willie Nelson.....E is Always on my Mind :)D
      April 29, 2018 10:27 AM MDT

Regardless of your nice pun, I have a dear friend who quotes Nelson's songs frequently! I've got to listen to Nelson more. My friend has good taste and he quotes some wonderful stuff that Nelson has penned.
      April 29, 2018 10:31 AM MDT

I think his gravel voice is wonderful.......he's just such a natural singer....He sings with Ray Charles......Seven Spanish Angles....They are both amazing singers I think.....

April 29, 2018 10:43 AM MDT

Just today I stumbled across a compilation of Anton Karas recordings that I had never heard before. I never realized that he had such a wide variety of works. Of course you know Anton Karas did all the music for the movie "The Third Man", and he, the movie, the theme, and the zither were all pretty much conjoined for the last sixty years.

April 29, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

I love EVERYTHING about "The Third Man"!! 

I like the four minute mark in your link and the surrounding moments/minutes - - oh, it's the last minute of the Bon Bons, I think. Or the end of the first "set."
    The Samt und Seide is quite different to me. Maybe it's just the slower tempo.
    I liked listening to all of this, Jewels Vern! Thanks!
      April 29, 2018 12:34 PM MDT

• "Yes" ... thanks to AM questions I've responded to recently ... Waylon has been on my mind for a couple of weeks.

Waylon Jennings - "This Time"

April 29, 2018 1:58 PM MDT

I think I may have seen your answer somewhere around but I listened still. And enjoyed.
      April 29, 2018 2:42 PM MDT

• I always like Waylon.  Deep distinctive voice.
      April 29, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

no
      May 21, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

HEY WELBY......WE think alike lots of times......I loved Etta too.

AND......WAY back in the 1960s, I friend & saw her at a kinda dumpy niteclub in Cleveland..........he was a DJ and knew all the 'in crowd'......the backup group she had were local high school kids!!  her group didn't make it for some reason......

sooooooo she was kinda 'annoyed' with them and at one point,after a song, turned to them and while we couldn't hear what she was saying, the look on her face was not pleasant.......my friend had told me they were not her backup group.

ANYWAY.....AFTERwards, I followed her back to her dressing room, and politely asked if I could get her autograph......she said yes and invited me to sit down!!!!!  she signed for me and I noticed she kept wiping tears from her eyes.........I asked my friend why that was & he said 'probably drugs".......HUH? I'm sorry now I never asked him what kind of drug/s would cause that reaction.......but I never asked so not it's a big mystery!!

anyway, I was so glad I got to meet her.....& glad that it was at that type of venue and not some huge concert hall, where it's usually hard to get autographs after a performance.

anyway, thought you'd like  to hear about that!!

OH and one of my favorites is "Too Soon to Know"......that opening piano, crescendo, I think it's called, gives me goosebumps every time!!!

September 30, 2018 12:48 PM MDT

So sorry, ben1011 - - by chance, I only just now came across your answer from a year-and-a-half ago! Why I failed to see it sooner, i don't know.

I listened to the song you suggested  - - and I like that James song, too.

Great story you shared, thanks!
    I hope you see my very-late reply :)

Be Well -- 
      January 31, 2020 8:37 PM MST

hey good to hear from you again, no matter how long it took! LOL.....glad you liked the story...and that "Too soon to know' (esp. that PIANO bit!!) resonated with you!!!  ..............regards, Ben
      February 1, 2020 7:31 AM MST

Hi Ben!
    Yeah, I just now listened to that James song again for fun - and now I'm listening to Alice in Chains - an abrupt change of style for sure but I like both a lot, ha! :)

That beginning piano moment at the beginning of the song that you like is an arpeggio but it does get louder as it goes along (crescendo), so you're right. :)
    Hell, I'm trying to be helpful without sounding like a lecture. I mean it all in a fun way. ( Yeah, weird morning in my head today so far, can you tell?)

Be Well -

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 1, 2020 8:00 AM MST
      February 1, 2020 7:59 AM MST

hey, I never knew that that was an arpeggio.....thanks for educating me on that...Alice in Chains? have heard the name but not their music...not my speed, I guess. LOL.......and no, you aren't lecturing, you are informing! lol......on an entirely different note, are you familiar with a site called "Quora"??  WOW you have to see this one.....kinda like Answermug but a lot more involved......you can sign up to answer questions in your 'field', so to speak, and I've had dozens of questions......if you can't answer one, you 'pass' on it......there must be a million people on it.....it's very interesting.....so do look into it and tell me what you think!!

all for now.......:-D
      February 1, 2020 8:15 AM MST