Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » There's an ad on tv that goes, 'Words are powerful, use them well.' And that's true innit?

There's an ad on tv that goes, 'Words are powerful, use them well.' And that's true innit?

Posted - May 5, 2018

Responses

To me it is obvious.
      May 5, 2018 1:51 PM MDT

A person has a thought or intent they wish to convey to another.  Their brain sends a signal to their larynx to vibrate the air around it at a certain frequency and duration (sound).  These vibrations travel through the air until they are bounced against the eardrum of another person.  That person's brain then translates those signals into thought or impression - words.  

Words are the most powerful weapon on the planet.  They have the power to heal and the power to destroy.  Just a single word has the ability to lift  someone up, or bring them to their knees.   Sometimes just a single word can mean the difference between life and death.  What if that word  is ambiguous?  What if it's misconstrued?  Like a single drop of ink in a container of water, once a word is spoken it can never be removed (taken back) - no matter how hard we try.  That same drop of ink will also spread throughout the container until it has affected every molecule of water.  So it is with our words.  Once spoken, our words will have an effect on others - even if we didn't want them to.

Words are like a live hand grenade with the pin pulled.  Would you casually toss about a live grenade?  Yet we casually toss around something that's many times over more powerful and (possibly) deadly - words.  Our words can inflict immediate injury, or it may take days, months or even years before the wounds appear.  

Here are some words.  What effect to they have on you? 

I love you.  Funeral.  Marriage.  Never ever.  Fun.  Idiot.  Died.  Oops.  Birthday.  Stupid jerk.  Surprise.  You're always.  Earthquake.  Wrong.  Sorry.  Fire.  I hate you.  Why.
      May 5, 2018 3:57 PM MDT

Except when the subject of popular music comes up. Then they want us to believe that the portion of programming between the commercials has no effect at all.
      May 5, 2018 11:41 PM MDT

Yup.
      May 5, 2018 11:56 PM MDT

sounds true
      May 6, 2018 4:50 PM MDT