Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Has anyone ever been in a car accident involving wildlife?

Has anyone ever been in a car accident involving wildlife?

Lasr night, I was in a car accident involving a young black bear that and appeared suddenly out of the median on the Interstate and I had no time at all to react. Fortunately the only injury I sustaliner was a bruised left thumb (from my air bag’s deployment), but the poor bear was killed instantly. Has anyone else ever been in a situation anywhere remotely similar to mine?

Posted - May 14, 2018

Responses

No, but I've kilt a few squirrels and a couple of cats and I had a bird hit my windshield during a snow storm. Nothing major.
      May 14, 2018 11:09 AM MDT

I get upset hitting any creature. One squirrel in particular looked especially happy prancing across the highway - - until I arrived.
    :(
      October 9, 2018 6:29 PM MDT

yes, the person i was riding with hit a deer one time
      May 14, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

As I was tooling down a sun-blazed highway at about 70 miles per hour when an EXTREMELY large desert crow took a dive-bombing swan dive directly into the passenger side of my front windshield (windscreen), leaving a splintering crack in it the size of the Gobi.  Red Baron von Crow broke its neck on impact and died immediately, its mangled carcass splattering onto the asphalt in an explosion of blood, guts, and black feathers. My windshield was a complete loss, but I was about 40 minutes from civilization, so I had to reconnoiter my way home by peering through the tiny square-inch portion of glass that was not spider-webbed and driving 30 miles under the speed limit. My insurance company covered the damage and my car was made whole again. 

~
      May 14, 2018 5:22 PM MDT

Wow! That's (literally) wild!
    I love watching crows --  but I wouldn't have enjoyed what you experienced.
      October 9, 2018 6:30 PM MDT

I hit a dog once but it got up and ran off.  My husband hit deer on two occasions.  Day before yesterday my brother hit a gator on the interstate going 75 mph.  It damaged the underside of his car.  He was lucky the car didn't flip.  The reptile is no more.
      May 14, 2018 7:21 PM MDT

Crazy!
    Too bad about the gator but I'm glad your brother is good.
      October 9, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

Poor little bear :(
    I almost caused a head on collision trying to avoid a possum. I swerved to avoid him and didn't realize there was another car coming in the opposite direction then I swerved again as soon as I saw the headlights coming at me and had to regain control of the car for a moment. I was so embarrassed but at least I dodged them both. In that situation I think it would be better to just hit the poor possum than cause a wreck though and I think it was dumb of me to react the way I did.
      May 14, 2018 10:56 PM MDT

It's weird how some things can happen. Sometimes I think we just go on "automatic" -- and a natural reaction is to swerve to avoid, even though you're right - - hit the opossum.
    I've done that - - hit a creature to avoid other potential traffic. It can still upset me afterwards, though.
    :)
      October 9, 2018 6:38 PM MDT

Uncountable bugs.
    More than one squirrel.
    A bird.
    A chicken.
    A deer.
    A dog. 
    A cat...it lived. 

All on different occasions except multiple bugs each trip. 
      October 9, 2018 9:20 PM MDT