Active Now

Zack
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » So does it all boil down to My Side and Your Side?

So does it all boil down to My Side and Your Side?

My Side/Opinion : I am Right, Completely and Simply Correct; the Facts Back Me Up, Period

Your Side/Opinion : I'm Sorry, You're Totally Incorrect; the Facts Back Me Up, Period

and so it goes . . .

"I Wanted To Be Wrong"  R.E.M.

Posted - May 16, 2018

Responses

it might
      May 16, 2018 5:33 PM MDT

I'd like to think it didn't but I think it might, like you said.
    :)
      May 16, 2018 5:35 PM MDT

• I listened to a shrink on the radio yesterday.
    He said that some people are unaware that what they believe has no basis in fact.
    His research found that this thinking is the necessary foundation for all forms of fundamentalism.
    He sees these fixed views as based in fear of death, or pain, or eternal pain after death (a good reason to fear death.) The fear of death is completely unconscious. Because the subject is unaware of the fear, they hold to their beliefs as if they were life rafts, real things.
    Hence the belief is emotional and desperate. There is no way to reason with someone who thinks like this.
    During his years of practice, the shrink discovered that there is a key to breaking through such walls - ever-so-gently ask questions, incite curiosity.
    By this means, the believer comes to discover the differences between belief and fact for him or herself.
      May 16, 2018 8:36 PM MDT

Thanks for answering, Really?
    I'm not receiving alerts for questions I've asked. There may be some "high-falootin'-way" to correct it but I repeatedly check the box at the bottom of the page that I DO want to receive notifications but I don't receive them for questions I've asked . The box always goes back to being empty.
    A long answer to apologize for my late reply to your answer. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 19, 2018 7:20 AM MDT
      May 19, 2018 7:19 AM MDT

The more I watch/listen, the more I think I'm right. So, "what I think is right."
    " I'm right." 
    "Yup."

"If someone does not answer me on this website, I'm right." -- (just saw a posting last night in which the poster seems to be saying just that.)

Along those lines, I'd like a quarter for every time someone says something along the lines of -- , "Now let's just wait for those conservatives/liberals/whomever to answer THIS! and if they DON'T, I'm right."

Oh, by the way, all of this is just my opinion.

And I realize I'm not supposed to answer my own questions and I did -- so I do realize I'm wrong.

whatever

I admit I'm in a poor mood to be posting anything, so I'll stop for now.
      May 19, 2018 7:29 AM MDT