Active Now

Echooos
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Where did all the sand come from to form all deserts and how big a would a sand castle be if you used it all to make just one ?

Where did all the sand come from to form all deserts and how big a would a sand castle be if you used it all to make just one ?

Posted - May 22, 2018

Responses

The sand in deserts and other places indicates that that land was covered by a sea 10s or 100s of million years ago. Sand comes from the weathering of sandstone by wind and wave action on beaches. As the sea slowly subsides, it leaves in its absence sand. Paleontologists have found many fossilized sea creature skeletons in deserts.
      May 22, 2018 8:03 AM MDT

There is no need for such Abrasive remarks like this.....weathering the sea or on land ,erosion can be such a grind  I think :(
      May 22, 2018 8:11 AM MDT

Thank you. Now go get a sand which. Put a bit of sea salt on it.
      May 22, 2018 8:26 AM MDT

I seaweed ,but can't find the dam salt again :(
      May 22, 2018 8:32 AM MDT

There are two sources of sand, wind borne and water borne. Small rocks blown about by wind eventually shatter, making sand with sharp irregular edges. Small rocks blown about by water get rubbed down, making sand with smooth rounded edges.

A desert is defined by absence of animals, especially absence of people. It does not have to be dry or have sand. There are ice deserts here and there. An uninhabited island is called a desert island, and it might be quite lush because of volcanic soil, but no sand.
      May 22, 2018 7:49 PM MDT

Not quite. Deserts don't support much life, and some are barren to all intents and purposes, but the actual definition is based on maximum annual mean precipitation, not the wildlife. The Antarctic is a desert, but it supports or at least hosts, life around its coast and in the surrounding sea.
      May 29, 2018 3:12 PM MDT

All the beaches in California are covered with sand from Sand Yego. Except Fort Bragg Glass Beach. (Look it up.)
      May 23, 2018 12:46 PM MDT

i have no idea, it probably came from god
      May 23, 2018 2:58 PM MDT