Discussion » Questions » Education » Chaina and Japan are maybe the oldest established educated cultures ,yet isn't it strange that can't do joined up writing yet....

Chaina and Japan are maybe the oldest established educated cultures ,yet isn't it strange that can't do joined up writing yet....

Posted - May 25, 2018

Responses

It should say "That they" :( 
      May 25, 2018 2:32 AM MDT

?? It needs a lotta things.

I assume Chaina s/b China and that's ok, but WTF is an "educated culture"?

What is "joined up writing"? I guess you mean cursive script. Well, modern Latin (English) and Cyrillic (Russian) are the only alphabets I know of that have cursive script options.

So what exactly are we talking about here?
      May 25, 2018 3:09 AM MDT

Writing not using capitals ....like how we are typing on here and not like you would write a personal letter to someone...
    You sign your signature with joined up writhing..... 
      May 25, 2018 3:26 PM MDT

A capit is a head. The adjective form is capital (with an 'a'). The stone at the top of a column is called a capital stone, and people often carve slogans there. It is easiest to chisel straight lines and you sort of want all the letters to be the same height, so an alphabet was developed consisting of capital letters for that purpose. 

For handwriting, it is pleasant to have the letters mostly made of curved lines and joined together in a consistent manner. That form of writing is called uncial. That means "one twelfth". Nobody knows why it was called uncial, but that is what it was called. In modern times we call it cursive, which means "to follow" (same as cursor). 

The terms "upper case" and "lower case" come from the early days of movable type. The letters were physically kept in cases, capitals in the upper case and uncials in the lower case.
      May 26, 2018 12:57 AM MDT

I never knew a lot of that....:)
      May 26, 2018 2:10 AM MDT

sounds like it
      May 25, 2018 2:56 PM MDT

The oldest continuous culture on Earth is that of the Australian aborigines, who never developed written communication at all.
      May 26, 2018 2:14 AM MDT