Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is Reverse Racism OK?

Is Reverse Racism OK?

Is it OK for the members of a 'protected class' to discriminate against people who aren't of that class?

Claremont students refuse to live with whites

• A group of students at the Claremont Colleges are in search of a roommate, but insist the roommate not be white.
  • Two of the students defending the decision are Resident Advisors at Pitzer College for the 2016-2017 year.

Posted - August 10, 2016

Responses

Human beans are such silly critters.  Despite the hard-won lessons of the past being as clear as day, we, on the main, seem militantly averse to learning from them.

August 10, 2016 12:52 PM MDT

• This is still regular racism.

August 10, 2016 12:57 PM MDT

August 10, 2016 12:57 PM MDT

• Racism is Racism.

Reverse Racism would be NO racism. The term itself is rediculous

August 10, 2016 1:08 PM MDT

Spot on!  I only refer to it as such because that's the popular nomenclature for a brand of racism which works, well, in reverse.

August 10, 2016 1:08 PM MDT

Spot on!  I only refer to it as such because that's the popular nomenclature for a brand of racism which works, well, in reverse.

August 10, 2016 1:09 PM MDT

• No, it's not. If it's alright for someone to request a non-white roommate, then it should also be okay to request a white roommate. But you know the outrage that would occur if that were to happen...

August 10, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

You'll have to take that up with the body politic who usually understand the term to mean a form of racism inflicted by a protected class against the majority.

August 10, 2016 1:18 PM MDT

Abso-damned-lutely!!

August 10, 2016 1:18 PM MDT

Simple to answer.  NOT okay.

You see this all the time, not only in racism being reversed.  It is sickening in the sense that those who oppose a view of one group wind up being identical to it.  Hillary hates Trump and Trump hates Hillary.  So they look like idiots attacking one another all day and night.  Hillary got slightly smarter by having the entire sane nation get up on the podium and explain what is good about Hillary.  But they also got up and kept attacking Trump.  It was a necessary evil, but it proves a point.  Many people who are listening, cannot tell the difference between the 2 candidates.

A shame. 

Because you don't fight by becoming the same thing.  You lose by becoming the same thing.

I would not share a room with those creeps you mention,  no matter what color they are and I certainly would not align myself with any group that goes by skin color as a definition as to what is important. 

How antiquated can you get?

August 10, 2016 1:31 PM MDT

The answer to your broader question is "it depends."

The answer to this narrow instance is, to my knowledge, one cannot OVERTLY discriminate in housing on the basis of race. It's illegal. Had the students in question said "We're POC and would strongly prefer other POC roommates", they would have been in compliance with the law.

Otherwise, no law in the world can stop people from being racists. It can only discourage them from behaving that way in some instances.

August 10, 2016 1:43 PM MDT

No form of racism is okay, not sure if this constitutes racism though. Could just as well be a matter of personal preference. No big secret that humans often self-segragate with respect to residence, nothing inherently bigotted about that.

This is an off-campus residence, not a dorm. Were they a bit insulting about, yeah. But racist, I won't jump to that conclusion.

August 10, 2016 1:58 PM MDT

I am brown as brown gets with an accent that will never fully go away.  I know if I said I do not provide my services to black people I would be in trouble.  If I said I don't work for white people it would be ok.  If I said I only work for brown people that would be ok too.

Racism is a real problem for many people but the double standards do not help.  They say protected class which means different class which means treat them different which means they are not the same.  Are we all equal or not?  If we are then it means what you cannot do to a black person is something you cannot do to a white person.  That is what I believe.  That means this cannot be allowed.

August 10, 2016 2:15 PM MDT
  • D&D

If it helps minorities who face discrimination on the regular, yes it is okay. Sort of like affirmative action. To fix mistakes of the past.

August 10, 2016 2:44 PM MDT

No, it's racist.

The persons who posted the housing ad assumed a priori that they would not get along with someone who was not a POC. That's making a general assumption about individual people based upon group identity.

But there are different varities of racism/bigotry/discrimination, depending who is expressing it and in what context. As a society, we permit some forms (e.g. separate bathrooms for men/women, different retail prices for seniors, etc.) and do not permit other forms (e.g. hiring only heterosexuals for jobs were sexual orientation is not relevant).

August 10, 2016 2:53 PM MDT

Racism is racism.  The term "reverse racism" is BS.

Yes, it's called freedom of association.

I don't care what your race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, politics or anything else that defines you is...you should have the right to freely discriminate in those you choose to associate with.  

That doesn't mean you can go to any job or any school and refuse to deal with certain customers, co-workers, bosses, students, professors, etc.  It means you are free to choose a job or school where you are comfortable with those you may have to deal with.  But when it comes to those you choose to live with, absolutely be as discriminating as you want.  JMHO 

August 10, 2016 3:28 PM MDT

People make assumptions about individuals based on group identity all the time. When republicans and democrats do it, it's called politics and no one every considers that bigotry may be afoot.

One common denominator in genuine instances of bigotry is the status assignments of inferiorty and superiority to two or more involved. I don't see that here. One of the students even noted that hers was an issue of discomfort. This is their dwelling, not a job or dorm or even rental housing. They're young and rude, but I won't attempt to read their minds and what I see here is not hard evidence of inferiority based bigotry. Stereotyping, sure, not so much racism.

August 10, 2016 4:01 PM MDT

Bingo! This is a major financial commitment they're about to make, they have every right to set their terms and if they think their experience will be better if the roommates are strictly black, they're well within their right to stipulate it. Imo

August 10, 2016 4:08 PM MDT

No; it is still racism.

August 10, 2016 4:33 PM MDT

@FNdR -- I think we 95%+ agree; we are simply quibbling about the precise definitions of some terms.

The law says you cannot explicitly have a "no Lower Elbonian residents" policy in rental housing, but if a group sharing a home refuses to accept any Lower Elbonians as a new roommate, there is little the law can do.

August 10, 2016 4:44 PM MDT

Probably so, I just have a tiff with attributing all forms of discrimination to racism. We have to discriminate at times, not all are bigots for it. We are preferential creatures after all :)

Agreed, there's definitely no law broken herd. It would be different if they were renting the place out in whole.

August 10, 2016 4:54 PM MDT

August 11, 2016 1:40 AM MDT

August 11, 2016 1:41 AM MDT

August 11, 2016 1:42 AM MDT